X-Type intermittent start

Hi,

I just got a 2002 X-Type with 68000 miles. The car drove perfectly fine during the first day. In the evening it failed to start. After 2 hours I tried again and it did start. I parked it and checked if it would start again. It failed. Next day it also failed to start. I towed the vehicle to the mechanic on Saturday. On Monday they check it and say that it starts, and they don't know what my problem is. When it fails start is shows an amber engine failure sign. I here no cranking. Anybody had a similar problem?

Thanks. Albert.

Reply to
lattisse

Jon A

If you hear no cranking when you turn the key, I would suspect either the starter motor or the ignition switch. Traditionally those would your two best bets. If it is setting an amber engine fail light then there should be a stored code that the mechanics could look at, and either way, your description should be enough for them to go hunting.

Ghosts of the Dark Knight . . . you ain't just whistlin' Dixie.

Reply to
Hazey

Could be a battery terminal issue (loose or corroded)

Reply to
WayneC

Or even a shifter lockout switch (prevents starting except in park or neutral)

Reply to
WayneC

It was my fault! The car starts perfectly. I didn't fully press the clutch! Thanks for you comments!

Reply to
lattisse

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in news:1147215537.189233.240900 @i39g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

Doh!