xj40 exhaust

The centre pipe on my 4.0i xj40 has a surround that appears to have come loose and rattles while driving along does anyone have any photographs as to how this should be retained as the haynes manual has no pictures or indeed explanation of the exhaust mountings.

regards Jon_H

Reply to
Jon Howitt

Dear Mr. Howitt,

Your post is a bit cryptic, but, here goes -

The surround may be a heat shield that has vibrated loose or has broken the spot welds. These are typically installed to prevent starting any fires if you pull off the road and park over any long vegetation. Sometimes they are placed to prevent overheating of any adjacent surfaces like the floor pan.

A nice honest welder can tack that shield back into position for you as long as he knows that its stainless...

DieInterim

Reply to
DieInterim

I have the XJ40 workshop manual on CD. The pdf file that shows the exhaust system is 15MB big so if you would like me to email you the doc, please reply to the above address (removing the XXX first!).

Regards, Nigel.

J> The centre pipe on my 4.0i xj40 has a surround that appears to have come

Reply to
Briarfields

i have had a bit of trouble with your email address being returned from the sever so could you send it anyway. remove the obvious

cheers Jon_H

Reply to
Jon Howitt