xjs 4.2 ltr.What to look for.

Hi all,i hope someone can help with a couple of questions.I have the chance of a XJS 4.2LTR with 58k on the clock,but don't know what to look out for in the way of nasties.Also dont know anything about the engine.Would it be a straight 6 or a V8? and what would the mgp be and hp output? Any help would be helpfull as always wanted an xjs and this may be the car for me.Thanks,Simon.

Reply to
Simon

Simon, You need to step back a bit and educate yourself on the XJS before you buy one. The XJS was introduced in 1975 with a V-12 5.3 litre engine. It carried this engine as it's only power plant until the introduction of the AJ6 3.6 litre power plant in 1983 model year 1984. US introduction 1986. It continued with this combination until the V-12 was upgraded to a 6.0 litre (not sure of the year) and the 3.6 was upgraded to a 4.0 in 1990. The

4.2 litre XK engine was never put into the XJS as part of Jaguar's production line. If the XJS you are looking to buy has a 4.2 XK engine than it is a replacement engine. The 4.2, by the way, is a great engine and a straight 6 cylinder. The V-8 (other than the Daimler 250 of the 1960s) was not introduced until 1998 by Jaguar -- long after the XJS was no longer produced. You might want to go to
read the original brochures on these cars so you know what you arelooking for.

Hope this helps.

Webserve

Reply to
webserve

Reply to
Simon

Webserve is absolutely correct. The engine in your XJS would be non original. Having said that apart from having 6 cylinders missing from the proper engine - The 4.2 is a damn fine engine.

The big issue is going to be the bodywork. The first place to go is behind the wheelarches where those big tyres throw up stones. The front is protected by a cover but this usually just traps the mud. If you see any sign of rust at the bottom of the front wings where it meets the sill then you can guarantee that you will need to do some welding to the metalwork behind - Not insurmountable but just be prepared.

Next open the bonnet and check where the shock absorbers come through the body - Another common rust place.

Have a good look underneath and the jacking points. Again, any sign of rust means that you will need your welder out.

Next, jack the car up and check the front suspension mountings by looking for any play in the wheels or any fraying of the mounting rubbers. The top ones are easy to change (although they are more expensive). To replace the lower bushes means that you will need to drop the subframe which is really fun !!!

Do the same with the rear suspension, but there are no real issues with cost or difficulty to replace here. A good trick I learnt is to get an assistant to sit with the engine running and their foot on the brake. Put the car in R and see if the rear wheels twist. Then put in drive and see if the axle twists again.

As far as MPG is concerned - If you need to ask then you cant afford !!!

Enjoy

Stu

Reply to
Stuart Adair

"Stuart Adair" wrote in news:cta74l$qhp$ snipped-for-privacy@titan.btinternet.com:

I cannot speak for the USA, but in the UK and AU, the last of the XJS had an option of the XJ40 SIX. Far better than the V12 and VERY economical.

Ron

Reply to
Ron

Can't help you on the 6 cylinder, but overall look for rust in the fenderwells, under the floor pan, and along the trunk.

Look for fit and finish of the body panels to make sure no wrecks.

Personally, I'd run the VIN through one of the checking agencies like Carfax. I just finished a month subscription and found a few good deals weren't so good.

Just brought home my new 92 XJS (V12) with a smidge less than 55,000 miles on the clock.

Good luck on the car, I love mine already!

-alex

Reply to
Alex