1996 cherokee overfilled crankcase

firestone changed the oil and i drove the jeep for about 800 miles before i emptied it and put the right amount in. now i've got black smoke, engine hesitation and a check engine light on. changed the plugs and oil covered air filter, put in fuel injector cleaner but it rides like crap now. any suggestions?

Reply to
js

Inform them of their mistake and ask the name of their insurance company and how they intend to rectify the problems with your jeep.

JoBo

Reply to
Jo Bo

How much was it overfilled?

js wrote:

Reply to
Jerry Bransford

man, i wush it were that easy.

Reply to
js

OK it seems you've found they shouldn't be trusted to work on your lawn mower. So how about getting the codes read from the computer? autoZone and Advanced Auto Parts rent/lend scanners. I think on the 96 you can get the dash board to give it to you in a flashing light type fashion. But the reader eliminates guess work as to the exact code. With that info you can begin to troubleshoot what is causing the problem. It could be a vacuum line off somewhere. It's possible that over filling had nothing to with the problem. But a monkey in the engine bay knocked something off. Get the code and check back here.

JoBo

Reply to
Jo Bo

The best thing, would have been to have a third party shop, drain the oil out and document on the invoice that the vehicle had been overfilled. (If this ever happens to you, get a paper trail of what happened.)

If the check engine light is on, there are codes to be read. What are they?

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

i drained the oil myself (no documentation) and i've been to two autozone stores and amazingly, both stores were having problems with their computer. i'm hoping like hell it has nothing to do with the overfill but the black smoke and the fact these problems started a hundred miles after the oil glut leaves me with little hope. a simple friggin' oil change!! i feel like an idiot for not doing it myself and then for not draining it sooner. i'm gonna try another autozone today. the check engine light has been on since this happened. it went off yesterday for about 50 highway miles and came on again after restarting.

Reply to
js

Do this, find out exactly how much oil is supposed to be used. Bring the factory documentation that states it. Ask their service manager what amount their database tells them to use. If they're different and their database is erring on the high-side then you certainly have a reasonable case to demand a refund, along with potentially an investigation as to what's caused the problems you now have. Make it clear, you want the vehicle fixed and if they won't that you'll file a claim against them for the work you'll have done elsewhere.

What might be worse is they never bothered to actually drain the old oil and ended up doubling the capacity. As always, when going in for an oil change I find it's good to put a scratch of some sort on the existing oil filter and check your oil level on the dipstick before going in. Then, after it's done, look for the scratch on the filter and check the level again. There have been plenty of sitations where the tech 'forgot' to replace the filter or 'forgot' to actually remove the old oil. That and recheck the dipstick level again when you get to your next destination, just to make sure they didn't forget to put the drain plug back tightly.

Yes, you shouldn't have to do this yourself, but you're the one that owns the vehicle, not them. You need to watch out for it yourself, sad to say, because the techs often times won't. Usually they're not trying to cheat you, they're just being stupid.

-Bill Kearney

Reply to
wkearney99

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

How much extra oil was installed?

Reply to
Billy Ray

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Too late I know, but at the drive through oil change place I use ... hey, it's handy ... the guy changing the oil ALWAYS shows me the dipstick after the change ... ALWAYS ... even when he doesn't remember to.

Reply to
bowgus

My dad once offered to help an old Chinese guy whose car wouldn't start. On examination, it turned out that he didn't know about the dipstick and had filled it to the top of the rocker cap :-)

Dave Milne