Where to jack my jeep

I've seen several posts in this NG, and have come across some other sites that suggest NOT to jack your jeep up with a floor jack under the axle tubes. Likewise, not to jack up your jeep under the pumpkins (whether in the front or back)

However, my 04 JGC manual shows to jack up the vehicle on the axle tubes for both front and rear when changing out a tire.

??? Anyone able to sort this out????

Reply to
Grand Jeep

L.W.(ßill)

I can't imagne any other place to jack than on the axle tubes. Specifically, in the area of the spring perches.

Reply to
CRWLR

I can't see any problem jacking under the pumpkin as long as it is an iron one.

Specifically,

Reply to
Dave Milne

I lift my CJ by the pumpkin all the time.

Reply to
CRWLR

I imagine using jack stands in the same location would suffice when/if getting the vehicle off all four wheels is necessary?

Specifically,

Reply to
Grand Jeep

Also, I've seen tire shops jack up suv's by the control arm (terminology) bracket that is attached to the axle. Either at the axle end or the end that attaches to the unibody.

Any downsides to putting a block of wood on my jack, and lifting the vehicle up in these locations? Any risk of bending/warping the pivot bracket?

Reply to
Grand Jeep

yer in trouble yer in trouble!!!! ;) no files in this newsgroup! You have to use a 2ndary website (yer own? or pic service) and give ppl the URL to go to!

Reply to
SB

oooops, sorry. didn't know. is there a user "manual" on NG usage that I can check out?

Reply to
Grand Jeep

Normally you look for the word 'binaries' in the title of the group.

Most servers just kill your post. I don't see it, just the replies to it.

Same for most HTML posts. Usenet is text based and tons of folks don't use microcrap on the internet. This means an HTML post only shows the header 'maybe' if it doesn't get cut and folks have to open up some other program if they 'really' want to read what you said.

Mike

Grand Jeep wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Yes.

Actually, that depends upon what you are working on. You might want to put those stands under the frame so the axles hang by the springs.

Reply to
CRWLR

How's this........

Grand Jeep

Reply to
Grand Jeep

That looks like the right places to jack.

Mike

Grand Jeep wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Just be sure there are no pics of you jacking your Jeep, and for heaven's sake don't have your wife pointing and smiling at it. You wouldn't want to be accused of abusing it.

Reply to
CRWLR

Not with the stock jack it isn't.

The stock jack is designed to be stable under the axle tube and it has a cut out to fit the tube.

I use a floor type hydraulic and I will use the control arm bracket gently sometimes, but it isn't a real good idea. If the weight shifts, those pieces can bend.

Mike

Grand Jeep wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Right, I was referring to using an aftermarket hydraulic floor jack. (I should have mentioned that in my post) So there is potential for bending of that control arm bracket......that's what I thought, but wanted to make sure. They don't look like they would be a good spot to jack up a jeep. But I thought I'd ask since I've seen many tires shops jack them up there. (actually on the control arm brackets on the frame side, not the axle side)

Reply to
Grand Jeep