2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee need advice

I just bought this car and need to know what octane rating fuel I should put in it and a few other things that he manual would tell me. No manual came with the car. Should I get a manual from Jeep or an after market book?

Any guidance appreciated.

Reply to
William

The 6 cylinder engine uses 87 octane regular.

There are two V-8 engines. The 4.7 liter Power Tech engine uses 87 octane regular. The 4.7 liter HO engine uses 91 octane premium.

The HO engine will say so on the intake resonator..

billy ray

Engine and altitude set what you need for octane. Start with the mid rating and stay away from E89 (ethanol) fuels. (not certain exactly when Jeep made the system ethanol compatible but for older systems it eats the plumbing)

The Jeep service book is the best one to get. But it's also the most expensive. However, if you do any work yourself the book will pay itself back in the first job or two.

Reply to
DougW

DougW proclaimed:

There might be a sticker inside the fuel door. If this is the I-6, I'd recommend midgrade. I can only run standard regular reliably if at high altitude and even that isn't so common since they upped the alcohol content.

Head for

and select the For Owners link. From there you can find links to get an owners manual and a strongly recommended factory service manual--even if you never do your own work. You can also open a service request where you can request a build sheet by giving your VIN number... you get a list of everything the vehicle had as it left the factory. Most dealers will also print you that same build sheet and some will also order the manuals for you.

Reply to
Lon

Billy, DOug and Lon,

Thanks for the advice. I will get the manual.

I am not sure if you will see this but I have a few questions:

The seat and mirrors seem to move to a pre-determined position when I get into the vehicle. How can I change?n There is a number 1 and 2 on the door which I think relates to seat position but I cannnot make it do anything.

The back privacy shade type device...how can I remove it? I am trying to get larger things in the back. I tried pushing it up and turning but no go.

Thanks

Reply to
William

William proclaimed:

Sounds like you have a memory seat option. They can be cleared or reset, but they didn't have that option in the year for which I have an FSM.

Is this an Overland or a Limited?

Is this the type that looks like an overgrown pulldown blind? The top of that should be pretty easy to pop out of the holders, but again, best to get an owners manual before you break an expensive piece.

If your local Jeep dealer is worth a darn, usually the service guys will give you freebie advice for stuff like this while you are getting an oil change.

Speaking of which, if you do not have the full service history of the vehicle, and you don't know if a dealer maintained it such that you CAN get the service records by VIN, you might want to consider a replace all fluids since you have no idea how good or bad the previous owner was.

Reply to
Lon

The window shade thing is spring loaded on the fatter end. You just compress it in that direction a bit.

Reply to
billy ray