2004 SE vs. others

Salesman told me today to avoid the 4 cylinder model 4 a 6 cylinder. his fisrt reason was it cant handle the weight of the vehicle to move properly. I have a tiny 4 cylinder now that cant get out of its own way. Should i consider this , or is it BS?

Reply to
Eugene

I gather it doesn't make much difference off road, but the 4 cyl struggles on the motorway. TJs weigh in about 3700lb with the aerodynamics of a brick..

Dave Milne

I got the SE..while i like the better gas mileage, it is loud and gutless, but i've driven worse so i put up with it....offroad it does ok...wouldnt take it to moab or anything, but on the beach and moderate trails it holds its own....

Reply to
Ed Roper

I've got an 03 with the 2.4 ... I don't think it performs bad, it will lag a little bit in 5th gear at 75mph going up a hill, but dropping it to 4th solves the problem... you really have to run the RPMs out to get the full effect of the engine - that 2.4 meets is max HP near red line (just think it runs in the dodge stratus - can you say rice boy engine) I've also heard of that engine mated up to a hypercharger... hmm that would be nice... can't talk the wife into letting me drop 2000 clams on "HER" jeep... I get 23mpg pretty much all the time - have had problems with the spark plugs - dealer change TSB - next time will get a 6 cyl - why? I'm a power freak... no seriously I want to get AC on my next rig, that soft top turns into a giant zip lock bag when its hot and humid out. Oh, and my other truck is a s-10 with the 4.3L V6 in it, talk about over powered... but boy is that nice when you want it... My recommendation - if you live south and need air - get the 6 ..if you want to lift it and put on huge tires - get the 6... if you have no money, and won't do any SERIOUS off roading get the 4... I've had mine off roading and it did great, but never anything where I though my truck wouldn't make it... and that s-10 is NOT a off road vehicle even though it is 4wd (but that's another story) ~D

Reply to
Closed

What if i live in NYC, have very little off road opportunities other than surf fishing on the beach a few days per year, but absolutely cannot live w/o AC. Dont care for speed, though i highway cruise at

80-85 regularly. MUST HAVE AUtomatic tranny do to city driving. is this do-able? I heard the weight of the vehicle is just too much
Reply to
Eugene

You will not like the four cylinder combined with an automatic and a/c. This combination is well-known to be just a bad combination. Go with the

4.0L engine, you won't regret it like you would with the four cylinder.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Bransford

I can't see how a Wrangler would be the right choice for you. Sounds like a more "on-road" oriented small SUV would be a better choice IMO.

YMMV,

-Fred W

Reply to
Fred W.

get an AC, but you will hardly need to use it....come on now, its a jeep....remove all the windows and wa-la, natural AC

Reply to
Ed Roper

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Reply to
twaldron

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Reply to
twaldron

Say that when it's 105 outside, high humidity, and you're sitting in traffic. Talk about HOT! I added A/C to my TJ and it's been the best mod yet. I still like to roam around with the top down, but when I'm in my uniform on the way to work, it's nice to not be soaked in sweat when I get there!

Of course, the 4" lift I just put on is pretty cool too. ;-)

Eric

Reply to
Eric