2004 WJ tire pressure question

I know the sticker on the inside of the driver door tells me what tire pressure I should run in my new jeep. However, the sticker states recommended pressure for the 225 series tires, and my jeep came with the

245's. Is the recommended pressure different for the different size tires or not?
Reply to
Dan B.

Dan B. did pass the time by typing:

All depends.

Do this.

Get a big piece of chalk and drive to your local shopping mall or wide open pavement area. Make it a bit of a drive as you want the tires up to operating temperature.

Put a real heavy line across the tread. Drive a few hundred feet in a straight line. Get out and look at the mark.

If it's evenly worn, your fine. If it's worn more in the center you need more air. If it's worn more on the outside you need less air. If it's worn only on one side you may have an alignment problem. :/

That will give you the best contact patch for your tire.

Reply to
DougW

Try again Doug....

Worn in the center means too much air....

Worn on the outsides, not enough air....

That said, normally the larger tire takes slightly less air pressure to get a good contact patch. Not a lot less, only a pound or two.

Mike

Mike Romain

GACK! brainfart :/

I typed it correctly then went back and changed it. dunno why.

Reply to
DougW

That is quite possibly the worst idea I've ever heard of. Please, put down the crack pipe and slowly back away from the keyboard......

Reply to
Dan B.

Dan B. did pass the time by typing:

And if you bothered to read the thread rather than blathering out a retarded statement you would have noted the correction and my response. But then again, I doubt it.

-- DougW

Reply to
DougW

I wasn't making reference to the mistake in your message, I was making reference to your message itself. I mean seriously, chalking a tire and driver across a parking lot to check tire pressure. Listen to yourself man......

keyboard......

Reply to
Dan B.

For your information, that's the absolute best way to determine proper inflation of a tire.

Reply to
TJim

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

??? I thought that I invented this great idea. My best method was watching the contact patch on the tires, and repeatedly adjusting till I got it right. (it was an open/fenderless vehicle) I have and continue to adjust tire pressures to compensate for the expected load.

Reply to
Woodsy

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

When I bought a set of 33x9.5 BFG muds, the tire shop had them at 35 psi.

They were insanely squirrely, they would spin and slide in the slightest wet.

I checked them with the chalk method and found only the center 1/3 of the tire was touching the road.

If I dropped them to 26 psi, I had a full contact patch. I went up to

28 psi and now have contact except for the outside 1/2" of tread.

The difference in handling is amazing with a good contact patch.

Mike

"Dan B." wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain