Jeep Wrangler TJ Regearing Questions

Hey all im fairly new to jeepin and i have 31" tires and the rubicon express 2" bugdet boost and its excellent. However, i plan to add a 1 or 2 inch body lift soon and add 33x10.5 inch tires on my 15x7 american racing rims. However, i have the stock dana 35 rear with the

3.07 gears which i cannot stand. I plan to regear to 4.10's or 4.56's after i install the tires and i was wondering if i needed to know anything important about regearing. Ive read that if you change from 3.07 gears to 4.10's or 4.56's that you need to change the transfer case??? Or do i simply just purchase the gears and nothing else? Is it a bad idea to change gears in the dana 35?
Reply to
Derek Proctor

L.W.(ßill)

So Bill, what if you don't plan on doing some heavy off road driving? Is it still unexceptable to upgrade a Dana 35? I am in the exact same situation. Bought my 97 TJ before I understood the Dana 44 option was better. I'm stuck with 3.07 gears and am considering regearing at some point too. If you don't plan to do any heavy off roading/rock crawling, only a little playing in the mud, is the Dana 35 really that weak?

Brad

Reply to
Brad Fuqua

With an open diff, 31" tires and light use, a D35 should hold up fine.

I managed to break some side gear teeth on my D35 with 33" tires and way overzealous use of the gas pedal trying to get unstuck.

I geared mine cheap with used 4.10s from a 4-cyl. This allowed me to stay mobile while I built up a D44 with air locker in my basement at my leisure.

Steve

Brad Fuqua wrote:

Reply to
Steve