2006 Liberty Enhanced Seat Belt Alert

Page 45 of the Jeep 2006 Liberty manual talks about an Enhanced Seat Belt Alert System (BeltAlert) that includes warnings when the front passenger belt is not buckled. The manual does not state "--if equipped" for this feature, as it does with certain options, so it would appear that this is standard. Can't seem to get it to work. Tried following the programming tips for this feature--- that didn't work. The dealer tried both manual programming and hooking it up to his diagnostics, but could not find the "program" is that machine. Drivers side works fine, but not the passenger side. Unfortunately, at this point, the dealer is clueless. Does anyone know if this was an optional feature, or if it was standard on the basic Liberty 2006? Thanks in advance for any help.

Reply to
Flagman

L.W. (Bill) Hughes III

What are you trying to accomplish?

Scott

Reply to
Scott

These warnings usually sense the presence of a front passenger, and are also usually capable of determining if the passenger is in certain weight ranges. This accomplishes two things:

1.) There is no warning alarm if there is no passenger detected and the seatbelt isn't buckled. 2.) The passenger side airbag can fire at different force levels (or possibly not at all), based on right seat passenger body weight and presence.

My 2005 Toyota Tacoma has a similar system that will bring in an alarm if there is a decent weight (like my flight bag) on the front seat. I simply buckle the belt behind the cargo to clear the alarm.

If you get an alarm with nothing on the seat, the system is broken and you need a dealer with a clue. I think these systems are Federal mandates, so they probably can't be defeated. I'm not sure why you would want to defeat the system for other reasons, as most states require front seat passengers to be belted in, and seat belts are an excellent idea when offroading.

Remember, an unbelted passenger can possibly kill YOU, the driver, as they may become a projectile during a crash.

Reply to
B A R R Y

Hi Scott--

Simply trying to find out from folks who have the basic 2006 Liberty if "BeltAlert" function works of their vehicles.

Reply to
Flagman

Reply to
philthy

I've got a 2006 liberty and I get an alarm if someone's sitting in the passenger seat w/o a buckled seat belt. Don't get an alarm if no one is sitting in the passenger seat. AFAIK this is standard. Mine worked like this from the get go - never had to activate it in any way.

Eric

Reply to
Sandstone