Even Rubicons get stuck

Went wheelin' the other night in my buddy's Rubicon (4" lift with 33" BFG A/T's). We ventured a little too far into the Louisiana clay. His tires caked up and just spun. It sure would be nice if the lockers worked in high range; he just couldn't get any mud-slinging speed in low range. What really pissed him off is that I pulled him out effortlessly with my 89YJ, Peugot Tranny, 3.07 Open diff., 2.72 LR, with 31" BFG M/T's. The right tire goes a long way. (He wouldn't let me take any pictures!) Jim

88 Grand Wagoneer 89 Wrangler 00 Grand Cherokee
Reply to
Jim Boucher

hi jim, the lockers _will_ work in high range with a proper (simple) modification to your wiring.

Nathan Collier

Even with the modification to have locked wheels in high range, yes you can still stick a Rubicon and any other locked Jeep for that mater. That's why we have a winch and always travel in groups. But I'm sure it was a great feeling pulling out the new Rubi !

-- JimG

80' CJ-7 258 CID 35" BFG MT on 15x10 Centerlines D44 Rear, Dana 30 Front. SOA 4.56 Gears, LockRight F&R Dana 300 w/4:1 & Currie twin sticks Warn X8000i w/ dual batteries
Reply to
JimG

why? obviously anything can get stuck, and even the best vehicle in the wrong hands can get stuck. if he was being a jerk boasting superiority i could understand it, but if that were the case i would have left him there anyway. ;-)

Reply to
Nathan Collier

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Hi Nathan,

There is always a few in our crowd that I enjoy seeing get stuck and then have to help them out. Nothing against Rubicon's... I will have one myself one day. (I would consider yours if it weren't auto)

JimG

Reply to
JimG

thats cool. not that im trying to push mine or anything, but out of curiosity have you ever rock crawled in an auto jeep? i never would have bought an auto if i hadnt wheeled in a jeep with an auto once. changed my mind forever. :-)

Reply to
Nathan Collier

What you need is a Minox. Moments like those are just too precious to let someone else keep you from snickering about for years.

Reply to
L0nD0t.$t0we11

You got that right!

Reply to
TJim

Reply to
David C. Moller

Years ago, someone told me something that I've always taken to heart when off roading:

"Four wheel drive doesn't keep you from getting stuck. It just lets you get stuck in much worse places."

Reply to
TJim

Absolutely, and I can attest to that!

I can go much farther in 2WD with my 33" BFG MT's than in 4WD with my previous 31" BFG Trails the previous owner had installed. A good tire for the namesake, but out in sand and mud (Florida), the MT's really shine.

As always, the right tool for the job is exactly that!

Reply to
KJ

I have heard some praise on autos (even from a few in our group), but I have never tried it myself. It's just something about being an SportUV that makes me want a straight. With my 4 to 1 and 4.56 gears it's almost like an auto!

JimG

Reply to
JimG

Jim, just about all the purpose-built hardcore wheeling machines, especially those built for competition, long ago abandoned manual trannies in favor of the automatic. The harder the trail, the more an automatic is praised for its ability to give the driver very precise control over what he's doing. I drive a 5-speed TJ and will convert to an automatic when my clutch finally goes bad. Especially for rock crawling, an automatic is unbeatable. In the RCAA events, you'd be hard pressed to find many competitors not running some form of an automatic. With 122,000 miles I hope it's not much longer until I can convert my TJ to an automatic. :)

Jerry

-- Jerry Bransford To email, remove 'me' from my email address KC6TAY, PP-ASEL See the Geezer Jeep at

Jerry Bransford

Reply to
twaldron

Reply to
twaldron

Perhaps I should also add that my '90 YJ also has an auto with the great Weber carb. atop a 4.2L; a great combo. for this areas type of wheelin'.

Reply to
KJ

before you buy _any_ rubicon i highly recommend you try uwharrie sometime with an auto. the difference will amaze you. surely an auto isnt for everyone, but for anyone serious about rock crawling (and the rubicon is supposed to be a rock crawler) its definately the way to go.

Reply to
Nathan Collier

I took my wife's XJ (4 spd auto) on some light trails and have been convinced ever since.

If I could afford it, I'd buy Nathan's in a heartbeat. My next TJ will no doubt be an auto.

Eric

Reply to
Eric

.....but you can brother. ;-)