4 cylinder feedback

Hello,

I've been away from the group for a while, and was considering purchasing a new 4 cylinder Wrangler. Any feedback on the new 4 cylinder engine? How is it faring compared to the old 2.5?

Thanks,

Brian

Reply to
Brian

it is a 2.4 liter dohc with 130 hp instead of 120...great engine but personally I would spend a few more bucks and get the 4.0

Reply to
IsellJeeps

Brian, I've had my 4 cyl. TJ for a year now and love it. It even handles the A/C in the summer without any pit falls. I get 23 - 24 mpg with a fair amount of highway driving included. It had some sensor failures when it was new and the weather got cold, but the dealer replaced several and I haven't had any problems since. I like to putt around up mountain roads in my area and a 4 cyl TJ is just made for that, and it takes me back and forth to work everyday. It is my vehicle of choice to drive, rather than my wife's V8 Explorer or our Mustang GT. . . . . It's A Jeep Thing ! Tom T

Reply to
Tom T

i would personnaly say, AUTOMATIC 4.0 L STICK 5 SPEED 2.4L......

I would not drive a automatic 4 Cyl....

My 2 cents...

"Tom T" a écrit dans le message de news: snipped-for-privacy@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...

Reply to
Patrick

The EPA city mileage is 18 mpg and highway mileage is 21 mpg for the 2005 Wrangler with 4 cyl. engine. Are you sure you are getting 23 to 24 mpg? Sounds too high to me.

Tom

Reply to
mabar

Yep, on good days I get 24mpg. On hot summer days with the A/C on it drops down to 20 - 22mpg sometimes. I have a 5sp, not auto trans. It sure has suprised me, but then I don't run the crap out of it trying to keep up with the Big Dogs. All shifts are under 3000rpm . . . It's my baby. Tom T

Reply to
Tom T

Keep in mind if you decide to upgrade (lift, larger tires, bumpers, winches, skid plates, etc), that 130 hp is going to start seeming really weak really fast.

I have a 2.5L and would get the 4.0L for sure the next time around. However, I would have had to pay at least $5000 more for a comparable 4.0L (paid $10k for mine!)... in that case I'm glad I bought what I did.

Eric

Reply to
Eric

"Keep in mind if you decide to upgrade (lift, larger tires, bumpers, winches, skid plates, etc), that 130 hp is going to start seeming really weak really fast."

Agreed. The 4-banger is not going to want to turn 33"+ tires. If you don't plan on lifting or doing much off-roading or modification work, the 4-cyl is fine; it just depends if you are satisfied with the acceleration and passing power. I live in an urban metro area with plenty of assinine drivers and freakin' short freeway entrance ramps, and so driving the 4-cyl in this area would make me a nervous wreck.

Reply to
lambeth65

The 6 cylinder 258 is usually listed around 115 HP. Do you think that is really weak too?

The 4 banger will turn big tires if you gear it down enough, just not at high speed. Its about torque not HP. Ratio multiplies torque.

That said, for highway use more HP is nicer. You shift less and can pass easier.

Reply to
Charlie Dellacona

Gears or no gears you're still going to have problems on the highway. I wheel with two guys that just upgraded to 4.88s (2.5l, 5spd, 33's) and they say the highway can still be a problem. Of course if you never travel anywhere, it won't matter.

Mine is fantastic (2.5l, 5spd, 33's, 4.10 gears, new intake/TB/exhaust) around town up to about 50-55 mph. No problem getting up to or maintaining that speed. Anything above that is very difficult. With a good tail wind I can maintain 65 mph.

Eric

Reply to
Eric

Reply to
mic canic

Never had a 4 cyl, but I'm not sure I'd buy one unless it was a heck of a deal. There are some who are Ok w/ them, but I have yet to see someone w/ the 6 cyl say they wish they had gotten the 4 banger. Seen plenty the other way.

I suppose it really boils down to what you're going to do with it. If it's going to remain relatively stock as far as tires go, you'll probably be fine w/ a 4 cyl., but if you ever lift and put larger tires, you'll likely start wishing you had the 6.

Good luck! either way, Jeeps are tons of fun!

Reply to
Ichabod Shagnasti