76 CJ7 gas filler hose

Does anyone know why it is almost impossible to fgind a 76 CJ7 gas filler hose? 70-75 no problem, 78-82 no problem. 76-77? seems to be non existant. I did find one at JC Whitney though, but no where else. What is up with that?

Reply to
RickA

I was trying to save myself from 1084979000.367891@sj-nntpcache-5, but wouldn't let me go...

| Does anyone know why it is almost impossible to fgind a 76 CJ7 | gas filler hose? 70-75 no problem, 78-82 no problem. 76-77? | seems to be non existant. I did find one at JC Whitney though, | but no where else. What is up with that?

If you found one, what is the problem? Your search techniques maybe?

Reply to
Joseph P

Reply to
RickA

'76 & most '77s used a different filler setup, it's not recessed like it is on '78 & later. I've been looking for a filler neck surround gasket and can;t find one, either.

Reply to
Jerry McG

....ummm....yes I could see where this could be a problem....of some sort...to someone....lol Lemmee see...if non of the places you would think would have them don't....then all of the places you'd think would have them do.... =-))))

...Gareth

Reply to
Gary Tateosian

They make a filler hose for those still? I went to a hose supplier and bought 3 ft of bulk hose.

Reply to
CRWLR

You are giving me a head ache here.

Reply to
CRWLR

What type of hose did you buy, and what size? Did you have any problems with the hose kinking on the bends?

Reply to
RickA

It was a hose that was blended to handle hydraulic fluid. I think it is silicon or silicon based. It can handle pressure, but there is never any pressure when filling the gas tank. It is a 1" hose.

Did you have any problems with

No trouble at all. The hose travels on a gentle curve from the fill point in the fender to the inlet on the tank. The radius of the curve is pretty large, so there is very little danger of it kinking. I anchored one end (I forget which end) with the hose clamp (I bought a special high-priced clamp that does not pinch the hose too badly, and can be used over and over again) then gave the hose a quarter twist that helped to flex the hose in the direction to eliminate a kink, and then tightened the second hose clamp.

I went looking for filler hoses, and could not find one anywhere. I seem to recall that the dealer didn't even have them, or if they did, the price was more than I wanted to pay so I kept up my search. The guys at my local Napa store told me of the high-pressure fittings merchant in my area. These guys specialize in hydraulics and that sort of thing. I have to trust people to know what chemicals they are working with, and when he suggested whatever I bought, he backed it up with a statement that said his hose would survive gasoline. So far, it has survived 4 years and a huge rock that went around the inside of the wheel well and made a dent from the inside out. This stuff is like a Colorado hooker Rocky Mountain spotted feaver, it takes a ticking and keeps on licking.

Reply to
CRWLR

It took me all of 90 seconds, and that was mostly spent thumbing for the "FUEL Systerm Replacement" section in the 4WD catalogue. "Gas filler hose (1976-77 CJ) 2-5/8" outside diameter, 2-3/16" inside diameter, $24.95."

It is also about ten bucks more expensive than any other model/revision between 1970 and `95. Maybe that was the OP's problem.

Reply to
Lee Ayrton

[ SNIP ]

Hmmm ... "Colorado hooker Rocky Mountain spotted feaver" ...

Isn't that the title of an old John Denver tune?

Scotty '99 TJ Sahara 4.0L I-6 '99 XJ Sport 4.0L I-6 '03 BMW Z4

*** And now, we return to our regularly-scheduled program... ***
Reply to
Scotty

RickA ( snipped-for-privacy@msn.com) wrote on Wednesday 19 May 2004 10:05 am:

I had a similar problem finding replacement fill hoses for a CJ8. Texas Rubber Supply

in Ft. Worth, Texas has some heavy-duty industrial fuel lines that work great. I don't know if they'll ship, but give 'em a call or email.

Reply to
Michael White