78 CJ-7

I live close to Paducah, Ky. where we have about 18 inches of snow on the ground and it is still coming down. This is the most snow that we have ever had from one storm. I love my Jeep!

Jeffro G

Reply to
Jeffro G

Yup, I drove around several 4x4 pickups that were stuck last night on my way home from work.

-- Old Crow '82 Shovelhead FLTC 92" 'Pearl' '95 Jeep Wrangler YJ TOMKAT, BS#133, SENS, MAMBM, DOF#51, SPONGER#2

Reply to
Old Crow

I honestly have to say I generally have at least as much fun snow-offroading then mudding ...it's a lot easier to clean, too. I just find that no matter how stuck you are, if you keep working at it, you will eventually get out. Altho ...this isn't always the case. Plowing through a deserted parking lot of a closed-down McDonalds proved to be an hour-long, very cold ordeal since I wasn't aware of the 3' snowdrift behind the restaurant until I found myself in the middle of it.

Reply to
griffin

I have to agree. One other nice one is if you roll it the snow tends to be more forgiving on the bodywork.....

I can hardly wait until next week, we are hitting the bush for 5 or 6 days over New Years.

We just got 6" or so, now it is pissing rain on top and I just broke another hub! Grr.... Damn I was just turning it to 4x4 and the center snapped off in my fingers. I really hope it made it to 'lock' before letting go.....

I will find out shortly.

Mike

griff>

Reply to
Mike Romain

You must be running lo on hubs again.

Reply to
Greg

One left.....

I didn't turn the dial 'that' hard I didn't think. It was really iced up though....

I think I can use the dial off the last exploded hub so I still have a good spare thanks to your generosity.

Mike

Greg wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Mike, we're due for a foot up Newmarket/Barrie way!

I need to find a group to go wheeling with....don't got the winch to get my ass out!

Reply to
SteveBrady

Well at least my hub broke 'in' 4x4 so I don't have to go pulling off wheels today. :-)

I usually post invites to runs here. There are a few of us that go out on a fairly regular basis.

Mike

SteveBrady wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Thanks to Greg (greglc84) from the NG I do carry a spare hub! He sent me a pair of OEM ones when he upgraded his rig.

I just 'really' didn't want to deal with getting a tire off in this ice storm. I can't do it and talking someone around here into it is, well...

I sure am hard on hubs....

Mike

"L.W.(ßill) Hughes III" wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

I think I am going to have to give up my nice chrome center cones on my stock Laredo rims and go with the heavier Warn hubs. A local Jeep shop will mill down the Warn ones, but I am not sure I want that. I need all the structure they can give me for our bush trails. When I get twisted up, I put a lot of stress on them.

Mike

"L.W.(ßill) Hughes III" wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Ya, you've emailed me once or twice, but I'm usually on-call when they come up.

Anyhow, we've just got about a foot today and are expecting another 20-30cm over night...AWESOME! Love the snowbelt up here. They ploughed all the main roads which basically blocked in all the side roads where all those little rice rockets were stuck up to their door sills.

Of course I drive right past the guys and be sure to stop and help the pretty ladies! Which is why I'm itching to get my rear tow hitch so I don't have to get out and push all the time! lol Cuz then the ladies just drive away leave me knee deep....if I'm latched on with a strap then they have to stop to let me unhook them....it's all strategy! haha

Reply to
SteveBrady

Bill, I spotted an Wagoneer in awesome condition. no idea on the year of her but I think I know the next truck I get (possible rebuild project!).

Reply to
SteveBrady

It 'is' a pile of fun eh!

On the way home today, a pickup was stuck right in the middle of my street and the boys are out shoveling it. I just smiled and waved as I purred on by. They actually had to move kinda fast to get out of my way because they didn't think I could go off track past them.

LOL!

Mike

SteveBrady wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Yup...good fun!

In a different thread there was talk about 4wheel sliding when in 4hi. Well, I certainly played with this today. Good fun....filled the good deed of the day quota!

Reply to
SteveBrady

Oh ya, 4x4 stops like crap if you use the brakes because all 4 wheels lock up! Talk about slip sliding away as you go calmly off sideways into the ditch....

Like the owners manual says for 'both' of my Jeeps, only use the gears when stopping in snow, they 'can' keep you at a perfect 'threshold' braking point.

Try it in an empty parking lot come first snow everyone! Go 30 mph in

4x4 and jam the brakes, then do 30 and use the gears to slow down even if you have an automatic and see the difference. It will be an eye opener, that's for sure!

Mike

SteveBrady wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Are you free over the New Years weekend?

We are hitting the Bon Echo Park area due north of Kingston.

Mike

SteveBrady wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Fortunately, we only got about 3 inches or so. I say fortunately because my clutch master decided to crap out in Sam's parking lot Sunday (came home with no clutch release at all - fun!), parts didn't get here until Tuesday PM, and I still don't have the sucker changed out with all the company we've had. That, and I need to fab some parts since this is a 94 YJ clutch system in an 88 MJ so the push rod is about an inch too short, not to mention it's freaking COLD here right now! I hope Santa brings a little warmer weather for Christmas since it will be that long before I can even start on it again. 0 degrees F even in a garage is not my idea of a good work environment.

Now had we had a foot or so of the white stuff, I WOULD be pissed!

Reply to
Will Honea

"I honestly have to say I generally have at least as much fun snow-offroading then mudding ...it's a lot easier to clean, too. I just find that no matter how stuck you are, if you keep working at it, you will eventually get out."

Just don't use your locking diff. I was used to a mild climate and had always been used to mud, so during my first major snow experience, I immediately locked the differentials. Missss-taaaaaake.

Reply to
lambeth65