newbie needs an opinion

I'm thinking about getting a new or late-model used Subaru for my next car. Primarily it will be for ~20 mile commute to work. I want something that does good in the snow. Any opinions on Forester versus Outback? The Outback has higher clearance so should be perhaps a bit better in snow, but enough to matter?

Thanks, DB

Reply to
Doppelbock

oops, I meant Forester has more clearance, not Outback ...

Reply to
Doppelbock

Depending on model years:

You were correct. The Outback does have more clearance. The Forrester is an optical illusion. The Outback has higher ground clearance and holds more than the Forester. The Outbacks generally are nicer and more comfortable.

Reply to
Alan

How much snow do you get?

Reply to
Ragnar

Not all that much -- I live in the central Ohio area. I like the WRX too but don't know how it does in snow what with its lower clearance, wheelbase, etc.

Reply to
Doppelbock

Jim Stewart wrote in news:EdidnT snipped-for-privacy@omsoft.com:

Thanks, that's good to know! The WRX would be alot more fun than the Forester anyway!

Reply to
Doppelbock

The WRX would be fine. My wife takes hers up in the Sierras every weekend skiing and hasn't had any problems.

I lived near Lima for a year and drove an old Datsun B210 and only had a problem with traction, never depth of snow. I don't think you will have any problems at all with a WRX.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

Jim Stewart wrote in news:EdidnT snipped-for-privacy@omsoft.com:

Anybody else have an opinion on WRX vs. Forester vs. Outback? For a commuter car with some infrequent use in snow. So far WRX sounds like a winner. I should also mention that I will occasionally have 1 or 2 small (currently!) children in the back seat but usually we cart them around in the minivan. Thanks!

DB

Reply to
Doppelbock

I have a WRX Wagon. At xmas in the area around Florence, KY, we had about 9 inches of snow. I handled it just fine, both because AWD is cool as hell, but also because I know better than to bite off more than I can chew.

Reply to
Ragnar

That depends on the snow in your area. It snows a lot here but it never accumulates on the roads so snow pack or ice is all I have to deal with. In my situation I think the Legacy wagon is the best choice...handles and rides better than the outback or forester and the added length makes it more stable on ice compared to an impreza. TG

Reply to
TG

the limited slips in the WRX will blow away the outback or Forester in deeper stuff....snow has to really accumulate before clearance is an issue. TG

Reply to
TG

Just curious why you keep leaving the Legacy out of your list? TG

Reply to
TG

Unfortunately the are built in Indiana while Forester is built in Japan. The Forester is about 400lbs lighter than the Outback (depending on option/model etc.).

Many Foresters -do- have the rear wheel limited slip differential installed, as part of the All-Weather package. The 2005 Forester XS has it; the 2005 Forester X doesn't. My 2001 Forester S has it.

Reply to
Wayne Farmer

Don't know -- for some reason I just don't like it as much as the others.

Reply to
doppelboc

outback has limited slip plus higher clearance and moresuspension. wrx wins in street racing but the outback wins in offroad/snow situations

Reply to
jabario

comfortable.

option/model

I don't know that the car being built in Indiana is a problem. Mine has exibited no problems in over 30K miles. In any event, it really depends on what the individual is looking for. The Forester is less expensive, but the OBW is nicer and has a nicer ride. They sell a lot of both. My point was not to assume that the Forester has a higher ground clearance than the OBW, as it does not.

Reply to
Alan