stereo lock code

Hey Everyone

I have another question I just acquired a 95' Jetta 2.0L 5spd manual. I recently changed the battery and forgot about the security feature for the stereo that locks it if the battery is disconnected for any amount of time. I should have put in my little battery back up duh. Okay anyway does anyone know where I can get the security code for my car without taking it to the dealership and paying the $50 I have a Snap Scan Tool at school I can use but I have no idea how to find out the code??? If anyone could help it would be much appreciated. Thanks

Reply to
Mike Stafford

There might be a tag with the code hidden somewhere in the car. It will have 4 numbers. Try looking in the trunk under the carpet, or on the door posts. Are you sure the dealership will charge you that much if the radio is in the vehicle? I lost mine once on a road trip, stopped into the closest VW shop (I think it was in Lubbock) and they checked and gave me the code for free.

Worth asking, if you haven't already.

Reply to
starburst

The radio operators manual has the code in it. Lacking that , it seems there is a number on the radio itself that the dealer uses to get the 4 digit safe mode code. The radio has to come out to get the number and that is why the dealer charges. Time getting the radio out. I got this info from several google searchs. So take it with a grain of salt. If it was mine , I'd call a local vw dealer and ask. Posts suggest if you take the radio out and take it to them they'll give you the safe code for free.

Reply to
samstone

Yeah sometimes you get lucky and it has been written on the Radio. Easy to pull that radio out and look. It takes less than 1 minute once you make the tool from a hanger. ;-)

Can you contact the former owners? I would call them up.

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

Okay Thanks guys I think I will try the hanger tool and see maybe if it is on the back of it. So do you just bend and then put it the holes and push and pull at the same time?

Reply to
Mike Stafford

On 26 Mar 2007 20:11:54 -0700, "Mike Stafford" wrote: I use four finishing nails rather than the coat hanger 'tool' . I pick the nails diameters to fill the holes. After inserting the nails a couple inches I pull on the nails with a bit of this side, then the other, then both sides and the radio slides out. .... lol, really easy after you've done it once. a google search of 'radio remove tool' will give you pictures of the coat hanger tools.

Reply to
samstone

Let me add : after inserting the tools a bit of squeezing towards each other of the two on one side with one hand and the two on the other side with your other hand.. then the pulling nails/radio together. Clear as mud?

Reply to
samstone

Just pulled mine. The clips holding the radio in need to be pushed back toward the cassette player in the radio to release it. Easiest way is to insert the hangar until it stops, then push the loops towards the doors so the tool pivots in those holes and presses the clips to release 'em. Using the 'tool' as a lever to press the catches in, with the front of the radio as the fulcrum.

Mark '95 Jetta GLS

Reply to
Mark Randol

Try the following: all the A3 Golfs that i've seen here got the CODE written in a tape located in the rear side of the driver's side speaker grille mounted on the dash.

T.-

"dave AKA vwdoc1" escribió en el mensaje news:zI_Nh.3311$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr27.news.prodigy.net...

Reply to
Gustavo Arriagada

I will have to check that out! :-)

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

Hey all just wanted to say thanks again I was able to get the stereo out I called the local Vdub dealership and give them a couple of numbers and they gave me the code. I have music!!!! IT'S ALIVE

Reply to
Mike Stafford

we hear! lol

Reply to