CJ 7 one peice axles?

Got a price on 1 peice axles, Superior, for my 81 CJ7 today, but the place said not to put them in, nothing but problems with them, can't get them to seal, always leaking, said they will supply them but wont put them in. This is a rear end only place, not a general shop, so would think they know what they are doing. So question is, has anyone replaced their 2 peice AMC 20 rear axles with one peice? Problem, no problem, what?

Reply to
Greg

L.W.(ßill)

There's a Superior one-piece kit under my CJ 8 that was used hard under a 7 before that. No problems at all. WHen i aquired the axle i replaced the seals before i put it in, no problems at all. I can't imagine why someone would actually hesitate to use the one-piece axles, thinking the two-piece units are beter.

Don W

'82 CJ8 Scrambler AMC 360 T/F 727 Dana 300 One-piece model 20 rear Dana 30 front, upgraded to 6-bolt caliper and Warn hubs, awaiting locker

2" shackle lift/reversal 2" lift springs of unknown origin 33" Mickey's

And it finally runs!!!!!

Reply to
Don Wallish

Leaking? There's no leaking in ... Wait, that's crying.

I have the Superior one piece axles in my CJ5 (same AMC20 as in the CJ7), and there is no leaking. I also previously had the Moser one piece axles. My Mosers also never leaked, but they had a huge appetite for bearings.

If they won't put them in, pass for now. If you are located in Southern California, there is a place in Corona called DriveTrains Direct. They are a distributor for Superior, and they will install the axles. I had them assemble the axles for me, and put them in myself. Basically, the assembly is to stack the brake backing plate, seals, and bearings in the right order, and press the bearings into place.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland