87 Wagoneer Mystery Switch

Can someone please tell me what the switch is for that is inside (toward steering column) of the right-side air vent handle? My earlier Wagoneers have all been 1984 models, and were not equipped with this switch.

Reply to
randallbrink

Grand Wagoneer (SJ) or Baby Wagoneer (XJ)?

XJ should have a switch for Power that changes the way the automatic transmission will shift. Is this the switch you are referring to?

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

Could be, but if I knew, I wouldn't have asked. All I can say is it's a switch that is not on any of the earlier Wagoneers I've owned.

Reply to
randallbrink

Yes, I'm sure any idiot would have done that before asking, as I did. I could not tell what the switch controlled, thus the question.

Reply to
randallbrink

Well that rules out my answer of "driver ejection seat" :)

Is it OEM looking or possibly installed by the last owner? Got a photo to put up on a website?

Reply to
DougW

full size jeep

baby jeep (XJ)

WELL you could take out the switch and see if it is even connected to wiring

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

That's a good point. I am going to at least trace the wiring today, but during the night it occurred to me that it is most likely the Fog Light switch, as in my previous GWs that was under the dash on the left side, but there is no switch there, so the "mystery switch" is probably that one.

Thanks to all who responded.

Reply to
randallbrink

It's the ejection seat button.

There's no way to help without a better description. Does it look like a factory switch or an add-on? Is there an alarm, if so this is the Valet Switch.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Yes, I'm sure any idiot would have done that before asking, as I did. I could not tell what the switch controlled, thus the question.

That eliminates the ejection seat ...

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

It is definitely a factory rocker switch, located between the fresh air vent knob and the steering column on the right side of the column.

I am going to get my Owner's Manual back on Monday, which obviously would enlighten me on the subject, and am going to check my Wagoneer CD-ROM illustrated parts list tonight and see if it is listed.

Reply to
randallbrink

There should have been some symbol on it and it might illuminate when the ign is on, headlights are on and you flick that switch. I think that is how it worked on my '88 GW.

WELL let us know when you get the owner's manual to check. ;-)