89 YJ Wrangler WIPER and Gauge problems

Hey everyone, I'm another new guy. Need some help. First time Jeep owner, and I'm running into a few snags. I bought this 89 YJ 4.2L for my project. I have put in the herculiner, and replaced the metal plate behind the dash for rust removal, etc...Getting ready to install 4 1/2" rubicon extreme lift in the next week or two. Anyways, My windshield wiper motor won't turn off the switch. I replaced the new column switch and still no go. My chiltons and Haynes speak of a breaker(not a fuse) for the wiper motor, and I'll be damned if I can locate it. Anyone have any thoughts? Also, those damn stock gauges dance around on and off like an ex girlfriend. I've been told their all like this. Some help here would be grateful as well. I've removed them and cleaned all the contacts, etc...

Reply to
Robb S via CarKB.com

Sorry everyone, a little half asleep when I typed the problem with the wipers. The switch doesn't turn the motor ON at all. Still trouble shooting it. Just trying to find the breaker.

Reply to
Robb S via CarKB.com

You can remove the dash and clean the circuit board contacts for the gauges, but at least the bounce lets you know they are still working.... ;-)

The motor not turning off might be ground related. There are two power lines going to the wiper motor. One is for run, the other is for park and shut down when the ground connection opens as they park.

I would first try running a booster cable to the motor case from the battery negative to see what happens. The hinges can give up on the ground and it might steal one through the harness.

Or the brass circle piece inside on the end of the motor gearing that breaks the parking circuit's ground connection to shut it down might have come loose or maybe even put in upside down or backward or something.... Has it been open for a clean?

The 'breaker' for them is on the fuse panel and is a small metal can likely. Looks like a mini can of spam I think.

Mike

"Robb S via CarKB.com" wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Figures.

Run a booster cable from the battery to the motor case and see what happens.

The top left fuse is for the wiper.

Mike

"Robb S via CarKB.com" wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

I mis stated earlier about the motor not turning off, I can't get it to run at all. The spam cans on mine are marked flashers for hazard and the other for turn signal. am I missing something? I might be into it where the upper left fuse is for the wipers. Theres no fuse there, and it's missing a connector. Theres one on the left, which appears to be a accessory plug, and theres one next to it to the right as well. The space to the right of that is empty. That looks to me like one side of where the fuse should go and the other side of the fuse should go to the left connector. Kinda hard to explain, but I hope everyone gets the idea. Each connector I'm talking about, would be where one of the fuse blades would plug into. Also, this is labeled RR wipers. Kinda figuring that this is for the main wipers as well now. The wiper/turnsignal arm was broken off by the previous owner when he hit a rock, so I had to replace it anyway. Sounds like I might be digging into the fuse box to find out why I'm missing a plug point there......

Reply to
Robb S via CarKB.com

I'm kinda feelin like an idiot now. My chiltons says this fuse is for rear wipers, which I don't have......but I bet it's my problem. NO FUSE. The guy who owned it before really trashed this jeep mechanically, so I wouldn't be surprised. Scary wierd things.. thanks for all the help everyone. I'll dig deeper this weekend. Still can't locate the breaker though. What I thought was the spam cans being the flashers isn't the spam can. The flashers are round. Still looking for the spam can.....HELP?

Reply to
Robb S via CarKB.com

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

It could be they changed the location of the fuse in the YJ box. I thought the early YJ's had the same fuse layout as the last CJ's. The round cans are flashers, the breakers are usually smaller 'spam' shaped cans (or are the square 'bosch style' boxes maybe in a power center) and are maybe in the center of the fuse panel? If you have a power distribution center under the hood, I would sure be checking there as Bill mentions.

Mike

"Robb S via CarKB.com" wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

I just looked at my XJ panel and it says it has the small metal rectangle breaker for the wipers bottom center of the fuse panel. It isn't much bigger than a fuse.

Mike

"Robb S via CarKB.com" wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

hey mike, thanks for the help. Just thought I'd let everyone know how it all turned out. Well, the circuit breaker was actually missing. I spent the afternoon chasing out all of the wiring. And Mike, I believe you were right about the size and shape of the thing, but the problem was that it wasn't there, and the location wasn't labeled. It is on the bottom/middle of the fuse block. The contacts look like it's just missing a fuse, and there are a few missing and or are actually extra power points. Anyway, NAPA and schucks were clueless as to the part I needed. My manual says it's rated at 5.3A or something like that, so I just popped a 5A fuse in there and SHAZZAAAMMMM!!!!! The darn wipers worked. Anyway, thanks for all the help everyone!!!

Reply to
Robb S via CarKB.com

You are welcome. Thanks for the update.

I would check out junkyards for that breaker. The fuse box on the 258 versions of the YJ is a standard type that is used in all the older GM full sized vans and cars so I bet they have them in them.

Or try the $tealer....

I think the breaker is supposed to protect the circuit if the wipers jam. It is 'supposed' (Ya right) to blow before things like the intermittent module lets the smoke out. Up here in The Great White North, frozen ones are an issue.

Mike

"Robb S via CarKB.com" wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

I'm gonna comb the junkyards when I get a chance. I feel comfortable with the 5A fuse protecting it now. It is a project and won't be driven for a bit. But the circuit breaker I believe allows for a reset feature, either auto or manual. I'll find out when I find one. Thanks MIKE!! Robb

Reply to
Robb S via CarKB.com

I was just into the cherokee wiring today and it uses the same 5.5A breaker too.

Mike

"Robb S via CarKB.com" wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain