K 551 Weber kit

Hey y-all another questions. I just installed the k 551 32/36 dgev weber. all is grand except.......those instruction were crap. anyway. I've got 89 YJ 258/4.2L. It seems to be running rich. is this a normal set up? Anyone do this and need to rejet, and if so, what jets did you end up running with. I live in Seattle, wa, USA! I get a bog when I hammer it and the secondaries kick in, unless I go into the secondaries a little less harshly. Would appreciate any help on fine tuning this thing. I've disabled all of the emissions crap on this thing. Also, I replaced the carb because I had a vacuum leak on the stock carb and it wouldn't sit down and idle very well. The repair shop said I had a bad vacuum leak. Well, when I was ripping out all of the hoses, I found the two vacuum leaks, one hose was completely burned through.big hose, too. I decided to keep on going since I already bought the weber. But now I have a perfectly good stock carb, if anyone is intrested let me snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

Reply to
Robb S via CarKB.com

Did you take the computer out of the ignition loop? If not it has gone into limp home mode and clamped down on the timing.

It is an easy fix, I always add 2 new wires rather than mess inside the harness like the author of this link does:

You also might want to make put the timing advance to ported instead of the stock manifold vacuum.

I find the EGR valve causes a hesitation in mine with no computer running things. It goes away when I block the line.

I also hear that carb can be a bugger to get lean enough.

Mike

"Robb S via CarKB.com" wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

I put one of these on a 76 CJ 232 to which I adapted a 258 2bbl manifold. I got the Redline Weber jet kit and incresed the air correction jet one size in each barrel to reduce over-rich mixture and get rid of the stumble. Runs like a top.

Reply to
SoK66

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Reply to
Clap Trap

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Reply to
Clap Trap

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Try these guys:

If they can't sell to you direct, try 4 Wheel Hardware or Quadratec.

Reply to
SoK66

I did not take the computer out of the loop. I did leave the vac. advance at the manifold and will try moving it. I'll try the computer thingie as well. Also, I haven't road tested it much yet, but the comment about it using alot of fuel seems to be accurate. Bill, you suggest reconnecting the charcoal cannister? I didn't think I would be losing that much for vapor, but..... I didn't pay much attention to the cannister hose routing when I disabled it because I planned on abandoning it. Any suggestions for me on how and where to route the three hoses? Also, the vapor line at the top of the carb, should that go to the vapor canister? I did disconnect the EGR valve vacuum line and plugged it.

Reply to
Robb S via CarKB.com

The Weber has two vacuum ports, one for the ign advance, the other (further up the throttle plate travel) can be used for the emissions equipment, incl the canister. The kit comes with some fittings you can adapt for the PVC system, too.

Reply to
SoK66