'91' XJ: Selec-Trac full-time 4WD on the street?

In the Owner's Manual for my XJ it says: "Use Selec-trac 4x4 full time year-round on all road surfaces if you wish." I think I read on this newsgroup that you shouldn't use 4WD at all on paved surfaces though. So can Selec-trac full-time 4WD be used on paved surfaces or not?

Wblane

Wblane did pass the time by typing:

The key words are "full-time", that means you can use it on pavement with no impact to the transfer case. If it said "part-time" it would be only for loose surfaces.

For instance, my Quadratrack is a "full-time" 4WD transfer case. Seeing it has only 4Hi, Neutral, and 4Lo it's kinda hard not to drive in 4WD. :)

Reply to
DougW

That is a reference to 'part time' 4wd which should only be used on loose and/or slippery surfaces..

Reply to
Mike Hall

I'm not sure there is much point using it full time all year round on good road surfaces though. Isn't that what 2wd is for !

Dave

Reply to
Dave Milne

.. the point being that we do not all live in parts of the world where good road surfaces are long continuous stretches.. as good as the snow clearing is here in Eastern Ontario, there are sometimes quite long stretches of road that are interspersed with snow covering due to the winds displacing it there.. fulltime 4wd ensures that we are not having to remember to switch back and forth as we encounter such conditions.. I suspect that road conditions vary considerably more in Canada than in Scotland..

Reply to
Mike Hall

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

.. mainly FWD these days, and fitted with snow tires, they acquit themselves well.. but there is better.. 4WD with snow tires..

Reply to
Mike Hall