93 Grand Cherokee Limited evaporator R&R

It looks like my evaporator is leaking. A charge to the A/C system with dye resulted in a smell inside the cabin, no external leaks, and it quickly lost pressure. How much of a PITA job would this be for a do-it-yourselfer? Am I crazy even considering it? What is the general consensus on a junkyard replacement? I know they're well burried but most junkyard CG's around here are pretty well stripped already. Any tips on spotting a good one?

Reply to
SBlackfoot

It is a big PITA you basically have to remove most of the dash. Do not buy a junk yard replacement unless you like removing most of your dash twice. Do-it-yourself depends on your AC knowledge, tools and how much you like cussing.

Coasty

Reply to
Coasty

Coasty did pass the time by typing:

Ditto on the don't buy it from the yard. Who knows if it was leaking or not. A dealer I use for OEM is

DougW

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

As luck would have it, a parts shop nearby has an evaporator for around $150. That's quite a bit better than the $400 part the shop that diagnosed the system wanted to stick in it. "Wanted" is probably the wrong term, they didn't care much for the thought of tearing into it that far either. ;)

I figure what the hell, I have access to other vehicles if need be for a while, and I have an FSM for the ZJ (It doesn't cover my engine, but the HVAC should be the same). I think I'll give it a shot when I get a weekend (or week) all to myself.

Reply to
SBlackfoot

Y'know, it looks like the biggest pain in the ass would be keeping the wiring harness straight. I think I'll give it a shot when time permits. Hopefully everything still works when I put 'er back together. ;)

Reply to
SBlackfoot

SBlackfoot proclaimed:

Get a Factory Service Manual before you try to remove the dash. It will pay for itself.

Every now and then, the memories fade and I try another significant under or in dash repair job. Thankfully my current ZJ hasn't needed much and the memories are still fresh. Listen to Bill on this one if you are much over 35 or not overly limber.

Reply to
Lon

I already have one. ;)

Reply to
SBlackfoot

SBlackfoot did pass the time by typing:

Even with the factory service book (the 2" thick one) it's not going to cover every nut and bolt like the 2ft thick dealer service book does. Your best buddy is going to be a digital camera. Add to that some masking tape, plastic bags, and a pen. Mark everything so you don't wind up with "spare parts".

That and when your done you can make a cool webpage. :D

Reply to
DougW

lol Yep, it's the +/- 2" think FSM. I also have a Haynes lying around for what it's worth, and a Chilton's CD. Plus I've found a couple of walkthroughs online. Hopefully there won't be any major surprises.

I picked up the brand new evap core today. $160 Canadian after taxes, not too bad. I need to shop around for a heater core though. Might as wll do it too while I'm in there...

Reply to
SBlackfoot

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

DougW proclaimed:

Self thinks his best friend will be a big bottle of Watkins Red Liniment for most dash repairs.

Reply to
Lon