93 YJ complete dash removal???

93 YJ - original speakers, the driver side one decided to shred completely (?)! Do I have to remove the complete dash to replace the speakers or is there a secret short cut (oh please oh please)?

thanks

Reply to
jaco

I managed to reach them from underneath to replace them.

Reply to
Dana Rohleder

It is a tight squeeze, so I'll pass along a trick I learned on this newsgroup a few years ago. Buy some wingnuts to replace the hex nuts. It'll be a lot easier than trying to get a tiny wrench back in there when you put in the new speaker.

Tim

Reply to
TCL

I kept this from a previous post - helped me a lot. Al

Check this out. It is a link to a YJ FAQ about removing speakers.

======== From: "Eric Pretorious" Date: Wed, 03 Sep 1997 18:46:59 -0700

I just installed new 4x6 coaxial speakers in the dash of my 92 YJ this weekend. I can tell you from experience REMOVE THE ENTIRE DASH. It's faster. It's easier. It's LESS LIKELY TO DAMAGE THE SPEAKER CONES. It's easier than removing the seats and squirming around on your back for hours on end. You'll need:

2 4x6 speakers* 8 #8 flat washers 8 #8-32 wing nuts (You'll need these because the dash won't pull out very far) ...and some Loctite.

*Be careful here: There are two mounting hole patterns available. My JBL's have 5 patterns and I think that I used the 117.5x92mm.

BEFORE YOU BEGIN: Make sure that your new speakers mount flush to the face of the speaker basket. (Lay the speaker face-down: If the tweeter holds the speaker off the surface, you'll need to fabricate some gaskets using upholstery foam.)

  1. Remove the Torx fasteners from each side of your dash panel (6 T40 and 2 T45 bolts).
  2. Remove the lateral braces from the roll cage (2 T50 and 4 T40 bolts).
  3. Lower the windshield.
  4. Remove the 5 bolts holding the dash panel to the car.
  5. Viola!

Let me know how it goes (or if you need help).

Eric P. Los Gatos, CA

SPAMGUARD: Remove the 'SPAM.' from my address before sending

Consider this too: Fold down the windshield and remove the 4 bolts on either side and the 10 black screws on top. Remove the speedo cable from the speedo end next. The dash will pull back real easy now. It took me about 1.5 hours to remove, make spacers, install speakers and re-assembly.

__ Arold "Al" Green

Reply to
Arold "Al" Green