93 ZJ staring problem

Hello,

my 93 ZJ (inline 6) seems to have a starting problem at times.

When the engine is cold it seems to start without a problem. After I drive it for 10 mins or so and start it again it doesn't seem to want to start. (when it is running it seems to run fine). When I try to start it it seems to turn over, but doesn't start. The engine seems to get hot, but the gauge doesn't says it is. (last night after 2 hours the engine seemed to be pretty war still. (coolant and oil levels are ok)

any suggestions ?

thanks,

Ron

Reply to
Ron Croonenberg

Ron Croonenberg did pass the time by typing:

Start by pulling the codes.

It could be lots of things, but let's start with the codes.

Reply to
DougW

Hi Doug,

thanks, I'll check what I can come up with this way.

thanks,

Ron

DougW wrote:

Reply to
Ron Croonenberg

Ok, I did that...

it blinks 5 times, twice. And that means that the code is 55 meaning that the test was completed (right ?) I didn't see any other codes.

Question is, would the code only appear when the problem is there ? (If not mistaken that computer "remembers" the last error code... right ?)

Ron

DougW wrote:

Reply to
Ron Croonenberg

Ron Croonenberg did pass the time by typing:

55 is the end of codes. That means the problem is something the computer doesn't monitor. The computer will store all faults so you can have multiple codes, but it's an older diagnostics system and doesn't track everything.

No codes just means a lot more looking around to find the problem. :/

Next time it doesn't start try disconnecting and reconnecting the plug that runs to the crankshaft position sensor. The plug is right back by the dipstick.

Long list.. just thinking about possible issues.

Ignition coil A coil having problems usually causes a real rough start and warm-up but then smooths out. Up till it just fails and nothing starts.

Fuel filter A dirty filter can cause hard starts but more often shows up as poor acceleration or pinging under load.

Dirty throttle body If the IAC (Idle Air Controller) is plugged up, starting will be hard and the idle will be very rough.

This is the point where having the service manual is a "good thing" there are lots of tests for all the various sensors. If you don't have one I'd suggest getting one. It isn't cheap, but the first few jobs pay for it.

Reply to
DougW