ujoints

Well, i'm gonna take out my cv driveshaft this weekend and chase down that sqeeking noise I get while driving. I bought a c clamp tool for pressing out the ujoints, and the special pliers to remove the snap rings or whatever they're called... I even have the factory service manual to help me along.

Anyone know how long it may take to, for example, replace all ujoints in the rear driveshaft if it's that bad? I'm thinking of doing just that to be safe. I remember you people talking about keeping the driveshaft in phase so as not to cause more vibes... anything else I could know or hear about?

Troy

01 TJ bells n whistles
Reply to
Troy

Well, I have practice at u-joints, but even so a half hour is max for me to do a rear driveshaft at both ends. I use a hammer and an old 3/4" socket to punch out the old joint caps. I usually use a large socket under to 'catch' the punched out cap.

If the new one comes with lots of grease, the bearings should stay in place, but on some you might need to add a bit of grease to hold them in place while installing.

I don't believe your driveshaft will fall in half because it doesn't have a slip joint in it so getting it out of phase isn't an issue. It still doesn't hurt to put it back the same as it came out, so marking the joint sides is always a good idea.

If you find any of the end caps without bearings left or any sign the cross was beating on the cap, then I highly recommend you change the straps while in there. The do stretch from vibration and this will cause premature failure of the new u-joints. They are cheap insurance.

Mike

Troy wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain