93yj failing

Ok my 93yj failed emissions miserably today. Hydrocarbons by just a little but CO by well, a HUGE amount. Nox was barely noticable... I did the whole tuneup about 4 weeks ago but also had a gap develop between the header and pipe (before the o2 sensor). The tuneup got rid of my backfire problem but the exhuast problem is making my Jeep sound horrible. I think it's also causing my Jeep to run real rich (stinks) and it has a noticible lack of power. Any screwed up logic here? Anyone have anymore suggestions on solving this? I'm thinking about just having my exhaust rebuilt from the header back, but I don't know if that will solve my emissions prob. Nick

Reply to
Nick N

OHya forgot. It's stumbling badly on idle. Missfiring. Is there anyway to tell which one is missfiring? It's the 4cyl. Nick

Reply to
Nick N

I just went out and was playing with the plug wires... Don't ever short yourself between the wire and the cap. *^&**&%%&&^*%(^*(%)&*%)%^* OUCH! Nick

Reply to
Nick N

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

The root cause of the failure is the fact that the engine is running too rich, and I absolutely suspect that the exhaust leak before the O2 sensor is the fault. Make that leak go away. Don't replace the catalytic converter. Although a fresh one will, in fact, clean up the exhaust, it won't survive to next year's inspection, as the rich mixture will destroy it. Fix the root cause, not the symptom.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Newton

I think I'm with ya. Thanks Jerry. Nick