Sorry

OK, after I have been bombarded with rude e-mails concerning my post, I felt the need to respond. Fact is, I didn't see or read any "charter" and found this string of messages by accident months ago after goofing around on google. I posted a message, than a follow up after having some positive feedback. I figured I would let people know about our new top again as it is really cool. It is not spam, I am not soliciting anything. We don't sell them, that job is up to another company. I honestly thought you folks might want to know about it. If you have no interest, fine, if you want to want to "blackball" as someone put it, our top, fine too. What can I do. I apologize for the inconvenience.

Reply to
Alan

Alan did pass the time by typing:

You weren't actually on google (the search engine) you were on Google Groups. Google Groups is a method for posting to Usenet.

Every group on Usenet has a charter and some charters actually allow advertising. The charter for this group however does not support commercial posts. Private sales and group participants that have links in the .sig (signature) are fine from what I understand.

Google rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys for Posting the Charter or grab it here ftp://ftp.uu.net/usenet/news.announce.newgroups/rec/rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Your not the first and 10 bucks says you won't be the last to make that mistake. The point is to learn and move on.

Stay on the newsgroup, answer folks questions, provide relevant content, just keep the advertisements to a url in your sig like some of the others do here. If someone asks about tops, let them know you do them, but don't make it an excuse for a large ad. It's that simple.

Reply to
DougW

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

His personal new top or his company's new top? ;^)

Reply to
Jeepers

Reply to
twaldron

Guys and girls, please, whatever, relax. If you hate our top or me don't keep wasitng your breath. If you're interested, send me a line, if not, than move on. Sorry for the bother, jeez.

Reply to
Alan

Why, don't like bad publicity? Then try being up front and honest. Shady and sneaky don't help your case.

Reply to
Jeepers

The only thing I would apologize for was the sneaky way you slid in the first message. I went back to find what you posted in november..and you have to admit, it was somewhat sneaky. Your recent notice seems fine.

Next time you want to post about it, be up front, maybe put a little tag in the title such as AD: - New Top then those who wished to read it could, those who didn't could easily pass by. Group charter or not, I appreciate knowing about new products such as this and to ~never~ let an honest, informative post in this group is tight-assed.

d.l.

Reply to
D.L.

Reply to
twaldron

Wrong answer DL.

This newsgroup does have a charter which is located here:

ftp://ftp.uu.net/usenet/news.announce.newgroups/rec/rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

No commercial posts are acceptable.

If we start allowing them, this place would turn into spam central.

People in the past who called bull shit on the charter and spammed anyway have had their internet accounts yanked. ISP's do take newsgroup charters seriously these days.

Mike

"D.L." wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

  1. They were misleading and therefore dishonest and disrespectful.
  1. Rules are rules. He broke the rules.
Reply to
Jeepers

Hey, D.L., I am with ya buddy. Thanks for eloquently stating the thoughts of the rational contributors.

Jerry

ftp://ftp.uu.net/usenet/news.announce.newgroups/rec/rec.autos.makers.jeep+wi llys

Reply to
Jerry Newton

Hopefully a better top manufacturer than liar, as he certainly isn't a particularly good one.

Reply to
Lon Stowell

Ahhh, a Hair Club for Men advert...

Reply to
Lon Stowell

messages by accident months >>ago after goofing around on google

You posted the original message...... it wasn't a respone to any of us talking about it! You should have just said sorry and gone away. Now everyone knows you are nothing but a liar. If you had just come on the newsgroup and asked how to post the information you would have saved yourself a lot of grief. Most of us ARE interested in new products, but this newsgroup does have a charter that people expect to be honored.

What you should have said (instead of pretending to be interested in buying one!):

Subject: New Jeep Top

Hey everyone, I am new to this group and would like to post information about a new top I have designed for Jeeps. Is this OK and what is the procedure?

Your name

This probably would have been OK, plus with the address in your signature people could have taken it upon themselves to check out your site. Some may have sent you the charter, but you wouldn't have been called out as a liar and a spammer.

Reply to
Kevin Sperle

If there was a discussion going on where somebody was asking about where to get a new top, and you chimed in with, "I make a really cool top. Go to

and check them out." That would have been fine. It looked like you were soliciting sales by your original post.

Thanks for your understanding. I happen to think you might have a huge market here for your product, all you need to do is take part in the discussions about tops. We do have a charter that prohibits commercial posts, those are posts that blatantly attempt to sell stuff.

By way of example, many of us talk about a guy that makes onboard air compressor systems. The maker actually comes around here on occasion and talks about his stuff, but only in the context of answering questions about what it does.

For my contribution, I think that you should not have been bombarded with emails. It is sufficient to simply post that commercials are not allowed here.

Good luck with your new top ...

Reply to
CRWLR

D.L. must work for Alan.

JimG

(erased all his HTML crap)

Reply to
JimG

On Wed, 24 Dec 2003 11:03:51 -0600, Jeepers shared the following:

Get over yourself. You broke the speed limit last week. Go turn yourself in. Yeah, that's what I thought.

Reply to
travis

Reply to
Jeepers