96 XJ Starting problem...

Okay, I just bought a 96 XJ and I knew going into this deal that it didn't run. The woman I bought it from told me that the starter and alternator had been checked out and they work fine. She told me that when she put a new battery in the Jeep, that it started up, but it only started up once. I put they key in the ignition, and the radio comes on like normal... but when I turn the key to start the engine, all power cuts out. Nothing happens whatsoever. So I was wondering if what she told me was incorrect. I tried jumping it off with my other

96 XJ and, again, nothing happened. I did notice that the drivers air bag has been deployed and very trashily duct-taped back into the steering wheel. I was wondering if there is some sort of fail/safe that when the air bag deploys, the car won't start or is there some sort of electrical issue causing it not to start.

Thanks in advance! John

Reply to
T.U.T. v 5.0

A bad or dirty battery cable end can cause that. Don't forget that the cables have two ends. ;-)

The engine and relay ends are sneaky bad connections.

Mike

Mike Romain

Air bags are one-shot devices.

Earle