In the Market

Hi,

I currently own a 91 Cherokee (XJ ?) 4.0l HO, Auto, 4x4. AC

I REALLY like this Jeep, but it's definately seen better days.

I'm also currently in the position to maybe get something a little better.

One of the things I really like about this truck is that it's soooo easy to work on. The straight 6 fits well in the compartment, the truck is computer smart, but not too smart (if you now what I mean).....it's just an easy truck to fix without shelling out an arm and a leg for a real mechanic.

I also love the power of the l6 HO motor. My other Jeep is a GC with a

5.2l v318, and to be honest, I think if this l6 I have in the XJ now, wasn't so beat, it'd be very comparable (considering the body weights and all). Not to mention the beauty of a manual transfer case (the TC in my GC got the deadly "viscous coupling" disease)

I think I can sum it up by saying....I really like this truck :-)

Now with all this in mind, if I were going to look up the road for a newer XJ (maybe even the Sport), was there a particular model year that working on this truck (as compared to the '91) got difficult? I DON'T want it to be like working on the GC (I curse that thing every time I pull up next to it with a wrench)

Also are there any model years to stay away from?

Any guidance you guys could provide in making my next Jeep purchase would be great

I must also applogize for my rather extensive singing of the XJ's accolades. I just figure, if you guys don't understand....no one will

Happy holidays to all and thanks for listening

Special greetings to Bill Hughes, Mike Romain, billy ray. and Doug W

Thanks for being the cornerstones of this incredible group.

For all the help you guys have provide (numerous times I might add :-), I wish you and yours a very Happy Healthy and Safe Holiday season.

Best wishes

-bob v-

Reply to
Bob V

Bob,

The entire XJ lineup is easy to work on. In 2000 it was switched to distributorless ignition. Changing the plugs is a wee bit more difficult, but other than that, its the same ol same ol to work on.

HTH

Carl

Reply to
Carl

Get a 99 XJ sport. The 2000 and 2001 have a cylinder head that can crack if over heated, two catalic converters and 4 o2 sensors. Also I think when they restyled the body in 1997 they started using E-coat so rust is not the big problem it once was. Also the metal in the floor pan is thicker in 97. The

4.0L I6 and AW4 are as strong as ever and a little detuned for emissions.

JoBo

Reply to
Jo Bo