99 Jeep Grand Cherokee problem

My 99 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo has a problem with what i think is the radiator fan. In Aug, I went to get my jeep inspected and it wouldnt pass because the radiator fan was not kicking on to cool the engine. I replaced the fan and everything worked fine. I tested the old fan and it would not work. About six months later, I was sitting in traffic and my engine started heating up again. I looked at the radiator fan while the car was running and it would not turn on. Why would a brand new fan quit working? Is there anything else that i should look at to fix this problem instead of replacing the fan every 6 months or so?

Reply to
scrappydoo

Engine size? air-conditioning? are you talking about electric fan? extra info needed

Snow...

Reply to
Snow

I would test the fan and if it fails hope it is still under warranty. (not likely, but one can hope)

Other than that I would maybe suspect bad connections on the plug. If the connection is ratty, it can cause the wiring to overheat which can kill the fan.

Then there is the switch to turn it on. That is usually a low powered trigger switch near the thermostat that fires a relay. I would check the relay connections for corrosion too, same deal corrosion can cause too much heat in the wires.

Mike

scrappydoo wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Reply to
Dave Lee

My '99 GC had the same problem that started with the fan staying on to

long and degenerated to not cycling on at all. Replacing the fan rela switch solved the problem, but it was a bear to get to, located unde the battery shelf. Good luck

-- Bufor

this thread:

Buford

Reply to