A/C CLUTCH SOLENOID

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

JEEPR did pass the time by typing:

Did you read the schematic I posted a link to?

The relay is supplied 12V from the battery through a fuse to the relay coil. The relay coil then gets it's ground through the computer. That clicks the relay.

The 12V supply to the clutch runs across the high and low pressure safety switches to the relay (switch side) and then to the clutch.

Your basic relay:

basic relays schematic:

DougW

take a look at Doug's schematic at

being the common terminal, 87a being normally closed and 87 beingnormally open, that how we phrase it in the aviation industry

Reply to
JEEPR

I did Just trying to figure out how the solenoid energizes when the key is removed.

Reply to
JEEPR

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

You really should make sure one way or the other.

Do you already have a rotted ground strap from the rear of the engine head to the firewall? If this ground is bad, you also will get a dead battery. Seeing as you post from sympatico, you are in the rust belt and that strap does rot out. There is another computer harness ground on a bolt at the rear passenger side of the engine with a mess of small wires on it.

If the computer is seeking a ground for it's 'holding' power, it could maybe be stealing it through that relay which keeps the thing activated.

Mike

Mike Romain

Sorry bill didn't have a diagram at the time and like I said I was use to aviation terms in the light diagram you mention it is only a two contact relay the 85 terminal we cal X1 indicated vdc applied to the coil, terminal 85 we would call that X2 indicated the grounded side of the coil, terminals 30 and 87 would be the contacts.

In the air conditioning schematic look at C100, a multicontact relay B8 = X1, B10 = X2, B6 would be the common contact, B9 would be the normally closed contact and B7 would be the normally open contact. That's how we would describe it, just so when you refer to relays in discussion it is a standard and leads to no confusion. just a little trivia or info, funny the differences between the three industries, household,automotive and aviation

Reply to
JEEPR