Air tank to refill tires

I couldn't find anything on the style I have with a long hose and a gauge but here is one with a short hose designed for motorcycles. You could always make a longer hose.

Charlie

On Tue, 13 Apr 2004 16:45:27 -0500, the following appeared in rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys, posted by "DougW" :

Anyone seen a 12V compressor that actually was designed for tires; maybe 50-60psi instead of the 200psi or so these things generally advertise, with corresponding increase in volume-per-unit-time? I can't think of any tires used on roads (or off, for that matter) that need anywhere close to what these little monsters supply. Maybe at an airbase... ;-)

Reply to
Bob Casanova

On Tue, 13 Apr 2004 20:35:42 -0700, the following appeared in rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys, posted by Charlie :

Yeah, they do. Unless, of course, you happen to be like the genius I knew a while back who bought one to use with his thumper dirtbike.

Wish I'd been around the first time he tried to use it...

Reply to
Bob Casanova

You would have been impressed, they work great on the thumpers.

They fit in the decompressor hole.....

:-)

Mike

Mike Romain

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

In news: snipped-for-privacy@cox.net, L.W. (ßill) Hughes III thought: | I don't think they are that slow. Remember the slower you | can make your engine run the faster it pumps. About the same | amount of time to air up as down. | God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O | mailto: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

| | Mike Romain wrote: || || The unburned fuel just goes out the exhaust. The compression || just works a piston that sucks fresh air from the sides of || the thing and puts it out the middle under compression. || || They do work really well, but are really slow. || || Mike

Slow = Fast? WTF?! I think I need a Jack on the rocks...

Reply to
Joseph P

That sounds different from the one Bill and I am familar with. Bill posted a link to a picture of his a few messages back. I don't own one of these, but saw someone use one a few years ago. The one I saw was just like the one Bill posted.

Bill's sucks the ambient air from the engine compartment via the little "slots" you see on the left side of this picture:

Presumably, there's a check valve that opens and closes allowing the outside air into the cylinder while the piston moves downward. At the bottom of the piston's stroke, the valve closes off the "slots" allowing the piston to "push" the air into the hose on the upward compression stroke -- thus filling your tires.

If you didn't get the air from the outside, you'd be getting it from the intake manifold. Of course, your tires would also get a charge of the fuel mixture along with the air...

-John

Reply to
John Sevey

You guys are talking the same thing...

Mike

John Sevey wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Back in the early 1980s, my brother added an on-board air system to his `67 CJ-5: He used a cast-off automotive AC compressor and, if I recall correctly, a small pressure tank from a truck salvage yard. A dash switch energized the compressor clutch when he wanted pressure and a safety valve on the tank kept the system from exploding. It seems like a lo-buck solution that never gets mentioned here.

Reply to
Lee Ayrton

In news: snipped-for-privacy@panix2.panix.com, Lee Ayrton thought: | On Tue, 13 Apr 2004, Dan wrote: | || What size air tank would I need to carry to refill 4 || 31x10.5x15 tires from 18psi to 35psi? || || I would prefer to have onbaord air and not have to carry the || tank, but the compressor setup is $515CND, and the air tank || is only $12-$25CDN. | | Back in the early 1980s, my brother added an on-board air | system to his `67 CJ-5: He used a cast-off automotive AC | compressor and, if I recall correctly, a small pressure tank | from a truck salvage yard. A dash switch energized the | compressor clutch when he wanted pressure and a safety valve | on the tank kept the system from exploding. It seems like a | lo-buck solution that never gets mentioned here.

That's because everyone know it, and most of us would like to keep our AC working. There is only so much room under the hood of a SWB Jeep, esp when you go throwing V8s in there, like many do. V8 or fake air compressor? Which would you choose?

Reply to
Joseph P

[snip]

Ah, see, regionalism. I live in New England, where the thought of air conditioning in a rag top is just a non-starter. Elsewhere, where it gets much more sunny, I can see where _not_ having it is a non-starter.

I'm too used to seeing that half-acre of empty space under my hood, with a tinsy wincy 258 making a little bump of the middle of it and only an alternator to keep it company, I'm afraid.

Reply to
Lee Ayrton

On Wed, 14 Apr 2004 18:02:57 -0400, the following appeared in rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys, posted by Mike Romain :

So you pump by using the kickstarter?

Reply to
Bob Casanova

On Wed, 14 Apr 2004 15:59:02 -0700, the following appeared in rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys, posted by L.W.(ßill) Hughes III :

The ones I've seen were around 20-30 bucks, and took about forever to fill a motorcycle tire (experience speaking).

Reply to
Bob Casanova

Ah ok, you don't know thumpers. They have two spark plug holes in them, one is for the plug, the other is for a decompressor so the kick starter won't break your ankle or toss you arse first over the handlebars if the engine pops back on you.

You put the Chuffer in the decompressor hole and hold on real tight when you start the engine. The chuffer holds compression, the compression just moves a piston that moves air.

Mike

Mike Romain

Check out Brad Kilbys site.

He has mountings for compressors that lets you keep your ac intact. I don't have ac, but I do have a york ac compressor filling my air needs on the trail. If you get the right york it will even run air tools.

Sean

Reply to
Sean Prinz

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Pretty cool man.

Mike

"L.W.(ßill) Hughes III" wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

In news: snipped-for-privacy@panix2.panix.com, Lee Ayrton thought: | On Thu, 15 Apr 2004, Joseph P wrote: | ||| Back in the early 1980s, my brother added an on-board air ||| system to his `67 CJ-5: He used a cast-off automotive AC ||| compressor and, if I recall correctly, a small pressure | [snip] || || That's because everyone know it, and most of us would like || to keep our AC working. | | Ah, see, regionalism. I live in New England, where the | thought of air conditioning in a rag top is just a | non-starter. Elsewhere, where it gets much more sunny, I can | see where _not_ having it is a non-starter. | | || There is only so much room under the hood of a SWB Jeep, esp || when you go throwing V8s in there, like many do. V8 or fake || air compressor? Which would you choose? | | I'm too used to seeing that half-acre of empty space under my | hood, with a tinsy wincy 258 making a little bump of the | middle of it and only an alternator to keep it company, I'm | afraid.

Ok, I give you the whole regionalism thing...I am from up thataway, but living in NC right now...

As for you fears, I don't have much room under the hood in my 98 TJ...it is no 76 Chevy pickup, thats for sure...

Reply to
Joseph P

On Thu, 15 Apr 2004 17:12:50 -0400, the following appeared in rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys, posted by Mike Romain :

OK. The only one-lung bikes I'm familiar with didn't have compression relief (except for some oversized 2-strokes, which may not even be made anymore). And being tossed over the bars on them *was* a hazard, even on the small ones (even a 125 can give a healthy kick); one which was avoided by never locking your knee while using the kickstarter.

Neat! Thanks for the info.

Reply to
Bob Casanova