Quik Disconnects

One of my next purchases is gonna be quick disconnects..... Are quick disconnects... all the same... some better for some reason.... What's the deal?? opinions please

Reply to
Jeff

-Brian

Reply to
Cherokee-LTD

Ease of connection isn't the only issue. I've heard that the 'pin in shaft' discos that come with many lift kits are prone to rattling and clunking. My only experience is with the JKS Quickers: adjustable columns and lubable orbital bushings. For me, they have behaved flawlessly and they really are quick to deploy.

Steve

Reply to
Steve

I can't, first-hand, speak to the quality of any discos besides JKS and Rubicon Express. However, for these two...

JKS's work great for at least the first 6 months. After that, the joints do get a bit worn (probably would help if I was more religious in greasing them in the provided zerks), but they're still not difficult to use.

The Rubicon Express ones (on my friend's rig w/the 4.5" longarm kit) SUCK. It took us half an hour to get the damn things to line up so we could get the pins in, one at a time.

The JKS design is definitely more forgiving of a surface that is not

100% perfectly level. I would recommend them. They're by no means as easy as tying a shoe in all situations, but they're the best I've seen, and my only real complain using them is getting my hands greasy...and who gives a FF about that?? ;-)

Hope that helps.

/Bob

Reply to
Bob

the rubicon ones are OK, but takes a while to get them in, but if you just drill/sand the coloum wider than it slides in quicker, stock the fit is really tight and hard to get back together

Reply to
herman

Oh yeah... and so far she's a stocker TJ with some skids...

'95 ZJ '03 TJ

Reply to
Jeff

Reply to
David C. Moller

For $92.50 from Bob Supplee at snipped-for-privacy@ionet.net who runs Supplee 4WD Enterprises, Tera's quick disconnect is real hard to beat. I sold mine after five years for $50 and they're still doing a great job for the Jeeper who bought them.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Bransford

P.S. That $92.50 for Tera's superb quick disconnects from Bob Supplee at snipped-for-privacy@ionet.net includes UPS shipping.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Bransford

Interesting. Did the "state of the art" in quick disconnects change while I was away from the group? When I bought mine, the Tera disconnects were the acknowledged king of the heap. No complaints about mine whatsoever. The JKS disconnects available at the time were a distant second.

---------------------------------------------------- Del Rawlins- del@_kills_spammers_rawlinsbrothers.org Remove _kills_spammers_ to reply via email. Unofficial Bearhawk FAQ website:

Del Rawlins

I wheel a fair bit and watch folks with those 'quick' disconnects vs others with a wrench.

The folks that use a wrench win hands down for time taken to unhook and hook back up.

These folks with a wrench have to remove one nut and then install the same nut after. It takes them about 30 seconds, then they have to go over with 4 or 5 others and maybe a jack or two to help the folks with the 'quick' disconnects get the things lined back up to reconnect them.

But hey, they aren't false advertising, they are quick disconnecting, it's just hooking them back up....

Mike

Jeff wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Don't spend the $. Here's a link to an XJ with quick disco's on a budget. Work the same for your TJ. When I did this for my TJ, it took about $5. I keep some plastic zip ties and just tie the swaybars up and out of the way when I disconnect them.

just my $0.02

Chad

95 YJ RIP 02 TJ His 99 WJ Hers
Reply to
Chad Fraker

Hi Mike,

I did my time with the wrench and I much prefer the jks. No way I could have possibly wrenched the OEM links faster than I can operate the jks. Not to mention that fumbling around in the dark with nuts and bolts can be a real pain. With the jks quickers, just pull one pin and swing em up out of the way:

Perhaps the problems you've observed come from trying to reconnect on uneven ground (also a problem for OEM links). Maybe they're using a centre-link style that don't line up so easy. I usually just drive to the nearest flat surface and the jks links slip on slick as snot. Five seconds per side max, on or off.

Steve

Mike Roma> I wheel a fair bit and watch folks with those 'quick' disconnects vs

Reply to
Steve

Mike, the benefit to a disco like Tera's (and now JKS's) is that they provide a method to quickly secure the disconnected swaybar and swaybar link up and out of the way. When you keep the stock links and just unbolt them, you have to use bungee cords or zip-ties to hold the swaybar up and out of the way.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Bransford

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

From my reading of Mike's post, he is suggesting that it is okay to just disconnect on one side and let the bar move as the suspension works.

---------------------------------------------------- Del Rawlins- del@_kills_spammers_rawlinsbrothers.org Remove _kills_spammers_ to reply via email. Unofficial Bearhawk FAQ website:

Del Rawlins

Looks like great info Chad......do you find them easy to put back on?? certainly my best option.. thanks, Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Reply to
Chad Fraker

I like my JKS disconnects. They do come with posts that you can screw into the frame to hold the sway bar up out of the way when disconnected. Without any lift (03 Rubicon), I get a lot of rubbing on the sway bar from the front tires, and the posts that come with JKS just don't hold very well. Also be sure to buy some extra pins - they do fall off. I got some exactly like the ones that came with my disconnects from the local hardware store. In any case, you should have something to tie up the sway bar when you are on the trail just in case - you don't want the sway bar hanging if you don't have much lift.

in article ERbfc.10477$Rz3.6099@fed1read05, Jerry Bransford at snipped-for-privacy@mecox.net wrote on 4/14/04 9:25 AM:

Reply to
swbell

Your JKS's disco pins are falling out??? Sounds like they're probably be knocked out by the tires. Did you mount the posts too low on the frame so the tires are pushing them out? If the JKS is like the Tera that JKS copied, the posts must be mounted as close to the very top of the frame as possible so they have adequate clearance away from the tires or the tires will push the pins out.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Bransford