TJ windshields?

I have a good one. A couple years ago on my old '97 TJ the windshield mysteriously cracked. Parked it in the driveway and the next time I drove it the windshield was cracked.

Last week my wife used my '03 TJ and parked it in the driveway where it sat until today. This morning when she drove it again the windshield was cracked from top to bottom. We live out in the country so I know nobody is breaking them on me, besides we have several other cars and nothing has ever happened to them.

The jeep is still under warranty and I'm hoping it will be covered. Is this a TJ problem? If so is there anything I can do to prevent this? I sure don't want to pay for too many of these. I remember I priced one for my '97 and they weren't cheap (at least not as cheap as you'd expect for flat glass!).

Ken

Reply to
Ken Knapp

Check your auto insurance policy. Many include glass coverage even if you don't carry collision. They consider it a safety issue and would rather pay for the glass (hey, you're paying for it in the end) than for collision injuries.

I don't have the slip handy but my CJ replacement glass cost somewhere around $125US, installed.

-- "I defer to your plainly more vivid memories of topless women with whips....r" R. H. Draney recalls AFU in the Good Old Days.

Reply to
Lee Ayrton

Mine has cracked 2 times in the two winters I've owned it... Both times just starting it up and going back inside. Come out, cracked.... After getting it fixed this last time, no defroster, no crack (knock on wood)...

never actually had a working defroster in a Jeep before. Now I know why :-) ...

Reply to
Hooligan

Thanks for the info. I didn't consider the defroster. That might have done it. I'll have to check my insurance too.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Knapp

Reply to
FrankW

I had a problem where the Chrysler ones kept breaking; the last replacement I got in 2000 was made by Lamiver (Canadian) and has never broken. Even got a stone chip in it last year that never got bigger. I'd recommend them, and they're cheap.

Matt

Reply to
mhammer8

i get them instaled for 100 bucks from uni-glass here in houston

Reply to
IsellJeeps

I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for the warranty to kick in, it ain't gonna happen.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

I had the windshield replaced in my YJ and it was round $132 installed at my house...

Ben

95 YJ 2.5L

Reply to
Ben

-30 degrees) and I had the defroster on maximum heat (bad idea). All three of the times I saw it happen.

Reply to
Alex Hill

HarryS

Reply to