LPG warning - is this true?

Warning: Reader Bruce Purvis has come up with the following vital information to anyone considering an LPG conversion in the UK: Basically, our LPG is of inferior quality to LPG in mainland Europe:-

"I have begun enquiries about having na LPG conversion, and the engineer at a major installer in the area advises that one of the factors to weigh up is the quality of the fuel. He reckoned that unlike the continent, where the fuel is adapted for automotive use, most if not all of that available in the UK is simply domestic propane. A number of implications arise: Firstly the fuel is 100% propane, not, as on the continent a 60:40 propane: butane mix. Although UK fuel has a higher energy coefficient, it burns hotter and places the engine under correspondingly greater stresses. Worse, because it is not filtered as effectively as continental fuel, there have been numerous instances of component failure arising from unfiltered inpurities. In a domestic situation this isn't an issue, because the feed is from the top of the tank, leaving any impurities below, whereas, in cars, the fuel feed is from the bottom of the tank, and all the rubbish ends up in the system. The genleman advising me showed me jars full of sludge which put me in mind of the anti-smoking lobby posters about tar-filled lungs."

Reply to
Mike Foster

Yes, you seem to love showing up just how bloody ignorant you are...

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

Quite possible I suppose, but is this really the best group to ask the question in and not uk.rec.cars.fuel.lpg ?...

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

Some people do have classic cars converted to LPG you know, for example Will Holman's Merc in Practical Classics. It may upset the purists, but if you want to use a big thirsty classic as a daily driver it makes perfect sense.

Reply to
Chris Bolus

Oh, I agree that OE is s**te. But it does the job well enough for what I want. Same as a chipped screwdriver is s**te for using as a lever, but it still does the job for getting hubs off (to keep this on topic :)

Reply to
Stuffed

Yup, a few Jensen Interceptor owners have looked closely at it as fuel prices go up and down like a Barmaid's drawers. A chap in Australia reckons the best way is a full conversion, not the duel fuel conversions we do over here. That involves changing the carb for one dedicated to LPG.

Pete W

Reply to
Pete W.

That would be OK if LPG availability wasn't so hit & miss over here!

Reply to
Chris Bolus

bugger me he's older than me

Reply to
Tealc

I remember seeing a "conversion" in a "alternative energy" mag in the '70's which basically consisted of a biro on the end of a pipe from the regulator (butane cylinder) epoxied into a drilled carb body, downstream from the butterfly. the whole conversion cost about 2/6 (half a crown (about 12.5p) to you youngsters, and worked a treat. The cylinder sat on the front bumper of the landie. Not so good in winter though, the cylinder froze up.

J.

Reply to
JH

In spite of the irritation your 'irrelevant' comments have aroused among some menbers, lpg interests me, also very relevant to classic cars . I am considering a dual fuel conversion on a triumph stag v8, apparently they actaully run noticeably cooler and and smoother on lpg.

Reply to
Brendan

And that is why there is an LGP group to ask in ! You utter moronic plank, get a clue !

What WOULD be relevant is information about how owners carry on using (lead free) petrol in classic car as and when problems occur.

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

If your valve seats can't cope with lead free petrol then they most certainly won't like LPG. LPG installers use a thing called Flashlube to lubricate the seats and valve stems to prevent valve seat recession on cars with valve seats that are only just up to coping with unleaded but suffer when run on LPG. Claim you can fill it with an additive that will help running on unleaded in a car that needs leaded fuel.

Not 100% sure as it's been tested "to the international standard for both exhaust emissions and fuel consumption" but no independent test to prove it works. At a few 1000 careful low load miles a year many classic owners will take years to find out if it really works as a lead substitute. Most modern cars change hands at 3 years/60K miles but take about 70-80K miles to show valve seat damage on LPG by which time the warranty has expired.

Peter Hill

It's not a PoV, it's a case of how Usenet is set up and managed, LGP as a fuel has it's own group, questions about it's use etc. should thus be asked in that group - otherwise what is the point in there being 60,000 plus groups, might as well just have one for text and one for binary posts !

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

Seems to me that no individual should be a) deciding what the other users want; b) should resort to personal insults when their point of view does not prevail. Regards Gee

Reply to
T.Gee

If Jerry is so clever, why is he talking about LGP ( whatever that is) and NOT LPG?

ken

Reply to
Ken Forrest

. . . posting upside down and failing to trim?

Reply to
Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)

Your assessment of the way thing are set up are noted. Regards Gee

Reply to
T.Gee

Jerry it is you that is the moron, if you have nothing to add to the debate then shut it.

There's plenty of space on this newsgroup for discussion without your editorial control.

Reply to
Brendan

Get a clue, you are the total moron or shall we start discussing potty training on this group as well, I suspect that you are of an age where it might still be required !

Learn a bit about Usenet before you make an utter idiot of yourself.

This group is not the group to discuss LPG fuel matters in, there is an LPG group for that USE IT.

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

In article , :::Jerry:::: writes [snip crap]

When a troll like this comes along, can people please ignore them. If you respond to them it means those that have killfiled them still get all the crap quoted in the replies :-(

Reply to
Ben Mack