More Mario

It sickens me to see him still trolling RAMVA for new victims. Here's an e-mail I got from a recent victim. Newbs read his posts on RAMVA and just read enough to think he's good at restorations, but do not read further to see Mario's history.

"Hey there,

I was reading around on the samba, and your name repeatedly continues to come up. I=92m wondering if you can help me with my major problem.

Let me explain the situation, and then hopefully we will see where this leads.

In 2003 I was living in Wilmington, North Carolina and was a senior in high school. My mom had purchased a 1978 Vert years earlier that was in near mint condition. Smooth running fuel injection, great top, no rust (rare for the beach), etc. Her brother was on his way down to visit at the beach for a week, but his jeep broke down on I-40. He called, and she let him borrow the convertible for the week while he was at the beach. Needless to say, he did not take care of it, and even ran it on the packed sand on the beach. Of course, he never told anyone about this. The car was brought back to us without being washed, but we had no clue about the sand/saltwater. To make a long story short, due to illness the car had to be parked and quickly deteriorated.

In 2003, I really had the =93bug=94 to get this car going again, but didn=92t know where to turn. There were a few guys in Wilmington that did work, but I wanted professional restoration. I contacted several clubs, etc, and the Raleigh Volks Club recommended a guy named Mario Gavazzi that lived in Mebane, NC. I contacted Mario, he sounds up and up, and I went to visit.

We traveled from Wilmington to Mebane and visited his shop. It wasn=92t the cleanest of shops, but what shop is, but the work was exquisite. I also met a gentlemen named Gary while at the shop. Mario showed me around, showed me publications where his work was showcased, and did the =93I don=92t use bondo, but only replace with metal=94 spiel demonstrated by using a magnet. He even showed me a car that he was working on that a man from Puerto Rico had sent over to have restored. It was a Carolina/Egg Shell Blue and it was gorgeous. After seeing his work, and talking to him, I decided that I would have the work completed by him.

A few weeks later, I was able to get the car running and hesitantly ventured up to Mebane in the Vert. Of course along the way, the engine started smoking and we had to have it towed 100 miles to his shop. When I arrived, he greeted me, and we outlined a plan for how the work would progress. First, he would start with the body work and the floor pans, then we would paint, then do the interior, etc. He told me that I should be thinking about color schemes, but I didn=92t have to have it finalized until after the body work was completed. We agreed on a rough estimate, and I gave him a $1000.00 check for a deposit. I thought everything was fine.

BOY WAS I WRONG. About two weeks went by and I had not heard anything so I decided to call. Feeling uneasy about being 3 hours away, but feeling that he was doing wonderful work as showcased on the day of my initial visit, I was relieved to hear him tell me that the body work was almost done and the 1000 dollars had covered the parts and labor, and there was some left over. I told him to PLEASE keep me updated and he agreed that he would.

Another two weeks went by and I did not hear anything so I called. Except this time I got a disconnected number recording. Not knowing what to do, I contacted 411 and was able to get a phone number of his new place. I called, left numerous messages and never once did he call me back. Finally, I went on a little snooping trip to Mebane and asked around. No one had heard or seen from the guy. After consulting with the police, they told me where his new shop was and that his old one had been shut down because of his paint booth. I found the new shop and my car was there, JUST AS UNTOUCHED AS THE DAY I HAD DROPPED IT OFF. No work had been completed. I confronted him, and he told me that all of the work was under the seats and with the floor pans, etc. I checked and nothing had been done. I told him that I was in the process of moving to Virginia and I could not take the car with me right now, but I would be back to pick up the car and my money as well. He agreed that =93I had that right=94 and told me that he would give me the deposit back. I WAS FURIOUS.

Anyway, I moved to Virginia and got settled. I again, made the trip back to Mebane to get my car, but his shop was gone once again. This time, no one had any information, not even the police. I finally was able to track him down at his personal residence, which was a run down trailer. I found the trailer, knocked on the door, and of course there was no answer. I left a not to please call me ASAP and got in my truck to leave. As I was leaving, my mom was with me on this trip, she noticed that there were some Volks parts behind the trailer in the woods. I stopped, and went looking and sure enough, there were the fenders to my car just sitting and rusting behind the trailer. Not wanting to get in trouble for stealing, I took tons of pictures for documentation. Of course, the main guts of the car was not there.

Since then, I have been unable to track him down and I have no way of contacting him. I continue to run in to roadblocks every where I turn and even the police say they cannot do anything else. They have looked for the car, but if they can=92t find it, they can=92t prosecute. At this point, I don=92t care what shape the car is in, I just want it back. I don=92t care about the deposit, or any work that has not been done, I just want the car back. I am hoping that by some chance you have some information that might help me. I know my car is in a million parts, and that=92s fine. I just want whatever is left back for sentimental reasons. INCLUDING THE BRAND NEW EMPI 4 SPOKES THAT I PUT ON THE CAR RIGHT BEFORE IT WENT TO HIS SHOP!!!!!

If you can help me at all, or supply me with any information/advice I would greatly appreciate it. I hope that I have not bored you with this e-mail!

Thanks so much for your time, and I look forward to hearing from you!

Sincerely

Benjamin *********

"
Reply to
AircooledJohn

snip snip snip

Did he ever get his car back or any satisfaction ?

That mario asshole needs to be gone. Period.

Randy

Reply to
rjmacres

I'm loving this. I was going to post this on here, but looks like John beat me to the punch. I predict Mario will one day soon be the victim of a very harsh brand of justice, and I think it's all but guranteed he will burn in hell.

Reply to
ryan68bug

For those of you who aren't familiar with the saga of the thief, Mario Gavazzi doing business as "Vintage Works" amd using the name "Kafertoys" on the web - here is a short rundown:

The Samba feedback for Mario (15 pages after being culled through many times - all negaative):

A site that had to be created especially to warn folks away from Mario with documented proof of one of Mario's earlier thefts:

Local news video coverage of one of Mario and Sherry's latest thefts:
Mario is now permanently flagged as a thief on Richard Atwell's site (a highly respected venue - look for "Caveat Emptor":
/

The documented saga of Joan's bug, one of Mario and Sherry's more blatant crimes:

A recap on the SEWR (an offshoot of the old TS Rants - not affiliated):
We know of literally dozens of people who have been shafted by Mario and Sherry. This is very well documented. It was proven beyond any doubt in these very user groups that Mario is an habitual liar. He has claimed multiple show wins this year, and when directly challenged to provide details, he was unable to do so.

Mario's only response to date has been clams that everybody is jealous of his work, despite the mountains of evidence to the contrary, and as "proof", he offers timy pictures that obviously prove nothing. Over the years, Mario has NOT ONCE been able to effectively explain or counter in any way any claim that has been made against him.

And yet as time passes, people continue to be hurt. To the best of my knowledge, Mario has been allowed to continue to troll for unsuspecting customers both here and in the Full Moon Bus Club forums. He has been banned from every other VW group and forum that I am aware of. I ask that this group and the Full Moon Bus Club consider the evidence - which is pretty hard to ignore - and help stop him from causing further harm.

=A0

Reply to
Meyer

This is really sad. Benjamin's experience follows the same pattern that we've all seen with mario for several years now and I can't believe that he's still getting away with it. I live in his hometown in NY state and if I ever hear from my contacts in the ACVW community here that he's hiding out in this area, I'll alert you guys and maybe samba as well. He'll pop up somewhere sooner or later.

Reply to
Tim Rogers

Thanks for that, John. I recall your terrible experience with the thief, and it's not over.

Mario is living proof in the kindness of the rest of us - nobody's hurt him. I tell ya, if this happened sixty-plus years ago where I come from he might be six-foot-under honest.

Best to you. I will always do business with aircooled.net.

John

Reply to
John

Holy crap. After being away for a few years, I had no idea this had happened. I just read through all of the posts on the samba. It blows my mind. I really dont know what to think. I have talked to Mario on line a few times many years ago. I just hope you guys get what is owed to you, one way or another. I have been in the position before, and it isn't fun at all. If I wasn't in Wyoming, I'd offer to help. Not much I can do way out here.

Trey

Reply to
trey

LOL so much for being a rust free convertable

the real story as follows

Yes the vert did come in with very rusted doors very rusted quarters and a very rusted windshield frame I have lots of pictures, who wants to bet the story john printed is a lie?

I did many hours including installing another set of rust free doors and when the bill was sent out I heard nothing from the owner.

the car still sets at the shop now will a very big storage bill so think wat you will and as you can see john just loves throwing out the lies.

Sorry folks business is business, I will not be screwed over again.

Mario

Reply to
Kafertoys

Mario, you are nothing but a lying thief. I find it real hard to believe that all the stories that we hear about you and your shady business are wrong. Just to many of them. We've seen the proof in pictures and on tv. We've heard you lie way to many times. Just another scam artist and not even a very good one at that. Shit, you even lie when you get caught in a lie. Just one lie after another. All these people are wrong and you're right ? I don't think so.

Randy

Reply to
rjmacres

1) Hope all you folks can help me, as I am totally confused. 2) Especially would love to hear from John Connolly, who might have more of the scoop than anyone else. 3) I am lost as to why this Mario guy is not a police matter, and why all those who have suffered documented losses have not prosecuted him, through the police (free of charge), and had him locked in jail. 4) 5 years in jail, for each offence/theft, would keep him there for about 100 years. 5) There's lots of ranting on this and other groups. Why no criminal charges through the police? True, the police have the right to discretion. Failing that, lay a private information against Mario, through the Justice of the Peace. 6) With all his thievery, please help me understand why not a single person is prosecuting him, even regarding their own case.

Ross Virgin confused in Toronto, Canada =2E. =2E. =2E.

Reply to
rvirgin22

I know nothing about this situation directly (and never stated anything else), just another soul that contacted me hoping for some help and/or good news. I had to break it to him that his stuff/$ is gone, and I don't even know the details. I told Joan the same thing, it's a miracle she got her car back at all, but it cost her another $1k just to find out later that it was $1k more wasted, she'd have been better off writing it off in the first place (the car wasn't worth even the $1k more she paid to get it back).

But I know Mario, and I guarantee Benjamin's $ and car are gone, likely sold to someone else that didn't know the details of the origin of the car/parts.

There is nothing to be confused about Ross. Mario is a thief and trolls the Internet for new victims. He took me for $10k, and I immediately put out the alerts on this guy, yet he continually sources new victims through his trolls that seem so innocent on places like RAMVA, FMBC, etc. He seems like such a nice guy, misunderstood by so many! :-D

He takes folks for amounts that represent "small $" as far as the State of NC is concerned. There are bigger fish to fry than a small time Grifter Mario Gavazzi. So he flies under the radar. When I contacted the authorities in NC they did not care, and would not even call me back (perhaps because I was out of state), even though I said I'd travel there on my own dime to testify against him. NC is a bunch of backwoods hicks AFAIAC, at least their legal authorities are a joke IMO. If he tried that crap in a real State, he'd already be in jail for 8 years as of right now. But in NC he can continue to operate, so why shouldn't he stay there? And they can't even investigate him? WTF???

He's a sociopath and believes that the entire World is against him and that he's simply "misunderstood". Everyone here is crazy and cannot see the truth in Mario's World.

I can't wait until he does this to the wrong guy.

John

Reply to
AircooledJohn

I've seen this same type of thing with a guy making custom motorcycle parts. It ended in a class action lawsuit. Do a search for Casey Tallon. Same deal, took people for a lot of money, never delivered, or delivered unusable and unsafe parts.

I'd strongly suggest consulting a lawyer to see what it's take to get this rolling.

Les

Reply to
Project Magnet #1

Meyer, not sure how long you've followed RAMVA, but fear not, everyone here knows the real mario.... it all unfolded right here, years ago...

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

so you are admitting you took the guys car, and money and never intended on actually doing any of your high quality showcar restoration work on it? Your above lie is strongly mirroring all the other lies... at least change it up so it sounds believable.... sounds like the same shit you spewed about AJ...

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

A class action suit won't accomplish much if the target of the suit has nothing to win in such a suit. If this Mario guy lives in a dilapidated trailer, how much do you think you can squeeze out of him? A good old fashioned beating is the only way to solve this.

Reply to
Rev Turd Fredericks

Mario's post was too literate. Someone else seemed to be writing. Maybe Mario is a puppet for someone who keeps him up to his eyeballs in drugs.

Reply to
John

I can see Mario as a sock puppet for someone else.

Randy

Reply to
rjmacres

yeah, his wife posts under his name sometimes... you can usually tell the difference, she apparently has a few more braincells... doesn't mean she uses them, afterall, she did marry him... then again "birds of a feather" and all that shit...

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

Yes, that is Mario's wife, Sherry. She is just as crooked as he is. And don't give her too much credit: she's basically an idiot as well. If you take a look at the "plans" for Joan's bug, that is her work. Third-grade effort at best.

=A0

Reply to
Meyer

i would *never* defend her... that said, hand drawn "plans" are just that... I'm no artist, and i can give you a hand drawn blueprint for cabinetry, trimwork, or an entire house that would scare the shit out of you... i'm no artist with a pencil, but with power tools and materials, i am.

Reply to
Joey Tribiani