Aspen Area Jeep Trails

any good sites where they list some jeep trails in and around Aspen Colorado.....be there next week and looking forward to stretching the Jeeps legs on some trails and enjoying fall foliage...thanks

Reply to
Mindy

As soon as you arrive pick up the "Guide to Colorado Backroads & 4-Wheel Drive Trails" by Charles A. Wells. Has an entire section on the Aspen area. Snow at high elevations may have closed some of those trails by then.

Reply to
SoK66

Don Koch's Colorado Pass Book is good too. It has passes all the way from passenger car difficulty, up to Black Bear and similar passes. Amazon's web site is offering to sell both books, for $29.39. News from home is that it is raining again. Rain is good, because it is not snow, but it does make trails wet and muddy. Always check with locals for the most up to date conditions, before setting out on any trail that is new to you. If Aspen is anything like Silverton, there will be a place where closings are posted.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

I drove over Taylor Pass yesterday, and there wasn't any snow on the ground yet. Taylor Pass goes between Taylor Park (from North of Taylor Reservoir) and Aspen. The Aspen trees were really beautiful! The hillsides looked like they were glowing in spots!

A couple of books that list the Taylor Pass trail and have directions are:

4WD Adventures: Colorado by Massey & Wilson and Guide To Colorado Backroads & 4-Wheel Drive Trails by Charles A. Wells

Regards, Jeff

Jeff Hendron 2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon MatrixOne Support Skyjacker 4" lift, JKS Disconnects Agilent Technologies Fabtech Front Bumper, Rock Krusher Rear Bumper Co Springs, Colorado Rock Krusher Rock Rails, Custom Swingout Tire Carrier (719) 531-4319 33x12.50 Goodyear MTR's, Mickey Thompson Classic Lock Wheels jeff snipped-for-privacy@agilent.com Bush Whacker Fender Flares, Warn XD9000i Winch

Yamaha WR250ZF

Mindy wrote: : any good sites where they list some jeep trails in and around Aspen : Colorado.....be there next week and looking forward to stretching the Jeeps : legs on some trails and enjoying fall foliage...thanks

Reply to
Jeff Hendron

Has anyone checked out any of Larry Heck's books? I have not been able to get my hands on them at the library yet but I did grab a video that I will be watching this weekend.

I have been lurking here for the last two months. First I used it to help me select my '02 Wrangler and now I use it as a source for great information.

Larry

P.S. Not Larry Heck :-)

Earle Hort> Don Koch's Colorado Pass Book is good too. It has passes all the way from

Reply to
skiziks

Take Castle Peak road. It's at the roundabout outside of town, about

20 feet past the Maroon Creek road exit.

Drive up castle peak road till it dead ends. Turn on the forrest road and just keep driving. I took my stock XJ all the way up to the base of the Castle Peak hike.

There is also a turn off at about 11,000 feet for Pearl Pass if I remember correctly. It looked a little more "challenging". Goes all the way to Crested Butte.

Kevin_S