SoCal Jeep rentals?

Hi,

Got some questions maybe some of you southern Californians might be able to answer.

I'm going to be in LA & Santa Barbara next week on biz and I thought I'd rent a Jeep so I can explore some back roads if I have time.

  1. I got a decent quote from
    for a TJ Sport picked up at LAX. Anyone know of any other places in LA that rent Jeeps? I'd kinda like to find a Sahara, Rubicon or something modified.
  2. Any suggestions on areas to check out (or avoid!) around Santa Barbara? Nice to find some scenic trails in the hills easily handled by a stocker. Has everything turned to mud with all the recent rain?

  1. What's the best route to navigate weekday rush hour traffic when driving from Santa Barbara to LAX airport and hitting LA around 6pm?

Thanks,

Steve

Reply to
Steve

L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

ttp://

twaldron

Thanks Bill, I'll check out Frazier.

Steve

L.W.(ßill) Hughes III wrote:

Reply to
Steve

Thanks Thomas. I arrive LAX at noon. Thinking about taking Lincoln Blvd to Marina Del Rey and then cutting thru Venice to the shore and then PCHwy to my destination in Santa Barbara. I'll be in no great hurry, but would that route be gridlocked by early afternoon?

Did you have any fave backroad/offroad areas west of the city when you lived there?

Steve

twaldr> Actually, Watts is further east. LAX is near El Segundo, a relatively

Reply to
Steve

Reply to
twaldron

Wow, lots of rain damage in Los Padres:

Steve

L.W.(ßill) Hughes III wrote:

Reply to
Steve

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Hi Steve,

Sorry if this reposted several times. Having server trouble here. !

I'm a local here. Early afternoon is a whole lot better than late afternoon! Lincoln to PCH works pretty well. If you want to actually see more of Venice than you would taking Lincoln up to the 10, try this:

Right after Marina Del Rey, turn left on Washington Blvd. Take this all the way to Pacific (one block from the beach) and turn right. Pacific turns into Neilson Way, then Ocean Avenue as you enter Santa Monica. There is an entrance to PCH (Highway 1) right before the Santa Monica Pier.

The highway through Malibu is open again, but beware that things are still sliding a bit and they just might close it for some reason. It used to be you could cut off on Rice Avenue and avoid going through downtown Oxnard, but they put in so many lights it is no longer worth it.

Coming back towards LAX for a 6 PM flight, may not be as bad as it seems at first, assuming you want to get to the airport area around 4, to return the Jeep and get through security. that puts you before the major disaster that now starts nightly at about 4:30. You will be (believe it or not) going against the worst of the traffic. Just take the 101 to the

405. Wave to me as you pass Wilshire (weekdays) or Venice Blvd. (weekends).

Best Regards,

DAve

Reply to
DaveW

Hi Dave,

Thanks!

By the way, my outbound is at 10pm and I figured on leaving Santa Barbara around 4pm thus hitting the 'major disaster' by 6pm. Is that allowing enough time? What time does weekday evening traffic start to ease up? Would I be better off leaving SB a few hours later?

Steve

DaveW wrote:

Reply to
Steve

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

If your flight is at 10 and you leeave SB at 4 you should be okay. Traffic starts to die down around 7 most nights, but you never know. I've been stuck in the Sepulveda Pass (405) at 10 PM a few times.

It seems that Murphy works overtime here. If you allow 6 hours, you'll make it in 2. If you allow 2 hours, it will take 6. :).

Have a nice trip!

DAve

Reply to
DaveW