4.0L AX-15 bell housing - missing parts?

After long last, I have rebuilt my AX-15 and am ready to stick it back into the XJ. When I first took it out many months ago, I took the bell housing off underneath the vehicle, then moved the transmission inside to work on it.

When I was getting ready to put the housing back onto the transmission tonight, I noticed a pair of (approximately) 1/8" stainless steel balls laying in the housing. They look similar to the shift balls that are used in the AX-15, just a lot smaller.

I was wondering if someone knows where these are supposed to go? Are they part of the release fork, release bearing, or am I just ending up with spare parts that aren't needed? I think that the housing for the

2.5L engine has a pivot ball that detaches, but my 4.0 housing's pivot ball is fixed in place.

Any advice is appreciated!

Reply to
Chris

A ball from a torrington or other bearing?

Reply to
stilllearning

Thanks for the suggestion. As far as I can tell all the bearings in the transmission roll on "rod" shaped rollers rather than balls.

That does bring up a good point though. Since I'm using parts from a known good transmission, and I overhauled this old one because it wasn't performing properly, I'm going with the assumption that whatever went bad in the old one might have caused these balls to get dislodged in the process of it breaking. The transmission is back in and next weekend I'll see if everything checks out (crossing fingers).

Reply to
Chris