Building a Grand Cherokee and other ??

OK, let's get this out of the way right up front I like my comfort. So, with that said I'm trying to figure out if it is possible to build a Grand Cherokee to do a good job around town, on the freeway and off road on Moab style rock crawling, say 3+ to 4 rated trails. But wait that's not all! The Grand also needs to be the tow vehicle for my TJ. I've got something in mind like this.

Only with a trail capable vehicle in the lead. So the Grand pulls the TJ to the trailhead, the two vehicles are separated, tires aired down, sway bars disconnected and then both go up the trail together. At the end of the day everything is reversed for the trip back home.

Is this even possible? Is the Grand up to this sort of use and what about towing a heavy lifted TJ with a lifted Grand. Even though I like my comfort, I like my life even better so I'm not interested in building some sort of death trap.

Dean

Dean

Hey Dean...I have a lifted ZJ 4.0 on 31's and I don't think I'd want to tow with it unless it's a V8 Grand especially when it comes to hills... The build consists of....BDS Upper and lower adjustable control arms, Front coils moved to the rear and replaced with 4" Rockkrawler coils, 4" Skyjacker Nitro shocks, BDS rear track bar relocator, Rockkrawler adjustable front track bar and the new design 31" Cooper STT's The Grand is a very sweet ride around town and on the hwy(wifes daily driver)...other than the stiffer suspension, I would have to say I preffer it now over stock for ride, she tends to be a lot more responsive....and off road she ROCKS! Grands are sooo hot lifted and even hotter with a pretty lady driving! ;) my wife now wants a decal for the back window that says "This is NOT my husbands Jeep" lol There's a pic of the ZJ in my sig.

Jeff '03 TJ & '95 ZJ

4X4PLAY

Earl, your date or time zone is way off.

Mike

Earle Hort>

Reply to
Mike Romain

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

My personal preference is a three quarter ton full size vehicle, like the Suburban I use, to tow a Jeep. Go for heavy duty road tires, suspension, and brakes. That way you can control the beast when you have to make a high speed evasive maneuver towing the TJ. It happens. In my opinion, a GC is too small. By the way, that is an Expedition in your picture. Still too small to my way of thinking.

Do you tow anything else, or might you in the future? If you ever want to tow horses, the bigger the tow vehicle the better.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Jeff,

Your setup pretty close to what I'm looking at for myself. Including it being my wife's daily driver.

I take it that you've not towed anything with your Grand? There's a lifted one for sale down the street that I'm going to check out this weekend. Maybe they'll let me take it for an "extended" test drive.

Dean

Reply to
Dean