Rebuild instead of buying

My ride is a '90 LX 5.0 which I've owned since new. I have been thinking about the '05 GT but then again I only drive ~6,000 miles per year (the LX just went over the 100,000 mark). So why spend almost $30,000 when all I want to do is to keep my LX California emissions compliant yet pick up another 100-150 hp.

So the questions are:

-what mods would get me where I want to be,

-a guesstimate as to the cost,

and

-a reference to an excellent rebuilder in Southern California

Thanks

Dave

Reply to
Dave Combs

Go down to the local ford dealer and get a copy of the Motorsports catalog. You have a number of crate motors available at a very reasonable price. The ultimate is a 450 horse 347 stroker for about $6600. Crate motors are real bargains. For the most part, you can't build one like it for the same money. And you get all new parts from Ford, no rebuilds. Your down time is only a couple of days. A competent mechanic should be able to swap motors in just a few days.

Reply to
.boB

On Tue, 05 Apr 2005 03:53:14 GMT, "Dave Combs" wrote something wonderfully witty:

Go get yourself a brand new Ford Crate Motor. They come in all sizes and flavors. Top of the shelf with installation should be ~ 8k. You should be able to replace what you got for < 4k.

Reply to
ZombyWoof

Reply to
EJHansen05