CJ-7 Fiberglass Body and Bestop

I am fixing my CJ-7. (as most of the regulars already know)

The person that installed the new Bestop top did not use the threaded plates behind the bolts that bolt the framework around the body. He used some kind of tapered screw, which does not work real well in the fiberglass. I'm sure that someone here has installed a soft top on a fiberglass body. I am formulating a plan for fixing it, I just want to hear from the voice of experience, if it exists here.

Thanks,

Chip

Reply to
Chip

L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Actually Bill, the sheet metal screws are not holding. They work ok in areas where there is no stress like on the back but, the problem is the areas by the doors. The cannot be tightened sufficiently and require backing to be installed correctly.

Reply to
Chip

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

I used a hole saw and cut an access below the rim in the inside 'glass shell, then drilled down into the access hole. I then use washers and nuts and bolts.

Mike

Chip wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain