CJ mirrors

I bought a CJ with a YJ tub. I "think" they used the YJ windshield and maybe the windshild brackets on the side that mount to the front engine cowl. I thought the CJs had holes on those brackets (4 small ones) that attached those ugly mirrors. I have the mirrors but no holes in the brackets. Did the CJs come with holes in those brackets and if not...is it safe to drill the or am I risking water down in the windshild frame? Thanks Allen

Reply to
<ABanks5

CJs have some mirror mounting brackets that screw into the holes where the hinge mounts to the windshield itself. You must have these brackets, or you can not use the CJ mirrors.

I had some crappy JCWhitney chrome mirrors on my CJ when I bought it. They were fashioned from flat plate steel that was then chromed. They bounced badly and I couldn't stand them. I replaced them with some mirrors from SteelHorse, and I liked these mirrors much less. I replaced the SteelHorse brackets with the Real McCoys from the stealership. They are much more steady than any of the previous mirrors. I still have the SteelHorse mirrors themselves, and they suck. The metal is tearing and the plastic ball & socket that makes the pivot that the mirrosr adjust around is breaking.

The stealership gets twice the price of SteelHorse, but they use twice as much metal, and they use a metal pivot instead of plastic.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

The CJ hinges have threaded holes in them for the mirror brackets. The bolts are short so they don't compromise the windshield frame.

If it was mine, I would remove the hinges to drill and tap the holes in it to have the best job, but drilling and tapping right through would work as long as the threads were sealed up good with RTV or something so water doesn't get inside the windshield frame.

Mike

snipped-for-privacy@columbus.rr.com wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain