CJ7 top stretched to fit a CJ8?

I have a CJ-8 and would like to get a full length hard top. I also have a spare CJ-7 top lying around. Do you think it would work to cut the 7 top in half and stretch it out? I picture cutting it behind the doors, and in front of the glass, then attaching it again using sheet metal / fiberglass bridge or some other idea. So a few questions; has anyone ever seen that done before? Any road bumps you can see of this not working? Any ideas / suggestions for reconnecting it again so that it would be strong? Anyone want to just tell me that it is a dumb idea and I will just be ruining a good hardtop?

Reply to
Fletcher

This is a dumb idea and you will just be ruining a good hardtop. It is of course possible but I don't think I have even met anyone who is good enough at fiberglass work to do it.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

It's just too much fun, telling the young guys how to get into trouble...

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

You would have to cut it behind the doors, and in front of the windows, or behind the windows and in front of the tailgate, and stretch it there. You could install it wherever it fits, then fabricate a bulkhead where the tailgate is.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

On Thu, 09 Oct 2003 12:37:04 -0700, L.W.(ßill) Hughes III shared the following:

At a glance it looks kinda like a H2. :-O

-- Travis FOR SALE: '63 VW Camo Baja... $1000 *FIRM*

that soak into your ears are whispered, not yelled.

:wq!

Reply to
travis

It's doable. Not an easy job, but certainly not rocket science. The good thing is tha the ht isn't a structural member. I would suggest finding someone that makes their own fiberglass boats and tell them what you want to do. They'll probably be able to give you all kinds of advice and possibly help.

Do it! It will be very cool!

Mike

98 TJ SE
Reply to
GzrGlide

I do 'glass work and have built 'glass boats with my own molds and frames.

I do not believe anyone can stretch a 'glass top without it being really visible.

That said, it sure 'can' be done and it 'can' be done to look good. I would make it an 'obvious' extension and accentuate the fill part!

I would make it a raised band and highlight it with a different color or texture or highlight the seams. Something like a black top with a white or whatever color your Jeep is section or just highlight the seams with black on the section.

Just my $0.02,

Mike

Fletcher wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Fletcher (no snipped-for-privacy@please.com) wrote on Thursday 09 October 2003 12:42 pm:

There is at least one type of full jeep hard top available. Here's one brand:

You can also look for used ones.

Reply to
Michael White

Nice!

Reply to
Jeepers

Anything can be done with fiberglass. You must know exactly what you are doing or have someone else who does. If your in the NC area there is a guy here in my town that is THE fiberglass guy, his company is RAYBO Marine. If you need more info let me know.

-- Bruce

99 White WJ 4x4 Select Trac 89 YJ 03 Liberty Ltd L.O.S.T #000256 90 XJ6 Sovereign
Reply to
BWM