Need a clutch?

My CJ clutch pedal engages 1/2 inch off the floor. It seems to grab fine. I just bought it last week. Or does it need adjusting?? Allen

Reply to
<ABanks5

Adjusting.

You worry when it is at the top and can't adjust any more down.

I set mine up higher than 'I' like it so my wife with short legs can drive it easily. I am 6'4" with a 37" inseam and my wife is 5'2".

The book says you should have 1/2" of flop at the top end of the pedal. If not, you have linkage or mount issues likely.

You might want to check the pivot points on the linkage. If an engine or tranny mount is bad, the clutch pedal will change radically. The bar from the body to the bell housing also needs grease witch most folks don't know, there is a grease nipple on it.

Mike

snipped-for-privacy@columbus.rr.com wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Needs adjusting... did you install it?

-- JimG

80' CJ-7 258 CID 35" BFG MT on 15x10 Centerlines D44 Rear, Dana 30 Front. SOA 4.56 Gears, LockRight F&R Dana 300 w/4:1 & Currie twin sticks Warn X8000i w/ dual batteries
Reply to
JimG

No it was like that when I got it. It's a YJ tub on a CJ...wonder if there is adjustment issues that can't be resolved. Will get under there tomorrow. Thanks!

Reply to
<ABanks5

There may be adjustment issues... but they CAN be resolved. Is there a body lift? If so, might need to extend the length of the clutch rod (from the peddle to the bellcrank).

JimG

Reply to
JimG

(sorry, spelled "pedal")

Reply to
JimG

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Oh sure.... NOW I see this. My simple little clutch project would have gone a lot smoother if I had known that. We ended up just cutting it and putting a coupling nut in it. Now I also have an adjustable clutch rod. Kinda cool. Did I say simple.... ?

Steve

79 CJ-7
Reply to
Hrd

Excellent solution! I assume you threaded it? I just welded a piece of rod in the middle of mine.

JimG

Reply to
JimG