Storage Options For Hard Top TJ Storage Other Than Hanging From Ceiling

I have researched most of the hanging options for suspending a Wrangler TJ Harptop from the garage ceiling. For me at 6'7" tall, that it is a very bad idea in my garage with a sheet rocked finished ceiling, for obvious reasons.

Now I am looking for folks that have a great idea for successfully storing them upright along the garage wall. Is it a pain to remove the back window or is this not neccessary. All ideas are appreciated & welcome.

Reply to
Rickster the Jeepster

I installed a hard top hoist in a garage with a finished sheet rocked ceiling, with no real problems. You have to know where the ceiling studs are, that is all. It is a pain to remove the back window, and not necessary. Storing upright, even along a wall, is going to put stresses on the hard top that it may not be able to handle without warping. I have mine on a platform that sits on saw horses, that disassembles for compact storage. If you make it the same height as the bottom of the installed top, you can just slide it off and on the Jeep.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

messagenews: snipped-for-privacy@n59g2000hsh.googlegroups.com...

You can build something like this:

May require registration, not sure. Basically the guy built a rack attached to the wall of his garage and stands the hardtop up on the back window, top to the wall. Has some straps or something to hold it in places

Reply to
WTFdidyoudotothenewsgroups

Earle, I think his point was that the pain was gonna be in his head.....every time he hit it on the top. lol.

-jenn

Reply to
jbjeep

In article , Rickster the Jeepster wrote: #I have researched most of the hanging options for suspending a #Wrangler TJ Harptop from the garage ceiling. For me at 6'7" tall, #that it is a very bad idea in my garage with a sheet rocked finished #ceiling, for obvious reasons. # #Now I am looking for folks that have a great idea for successfully #storing them upright along the garage wall. Is it a pain to remove #the back window or is this not neccessary. All ideas are appreciated #& welcome.

I tried storing my YJ hardtop like that both with and without the rear glass in place. I just proped up against the wall and put stuff in front of it to keep it from sliding.

It worked, but would not recomend it as it scrached the hell out of my rear window handel and the top portions that touch the floor. Note that the TJ hard top does not have a handle or a lower frame piece on the rear window, so it's gonna be glass against the floor. Unless you cover the area you prop the top on with a mover's blanket, the top will be scrached, with or without the glass in place.

/herb

Reply to
Herb Leong

Hey Rick, We built a cart, much like this one:

much sturdier. We used nylon straps to hold it in place and then bought a painter's tarp to cover it with and pinned it in place. It moves easily and works like a charm. It still gets in the way sometimes, but heck, it's a third of a Jeep, it's going to be in the way no matter where you store it. Eventually we plan on building a door rack that fits into it as well.

If you'd like to see it I posted a photo on alt.binaries.pictures.autos

Titled: O|||||||O Jeep Top Storage Cart O|||||||O

Kate

2O||||||O6 Rubicon