Hard Top storage

I would like to remove the hard top and store it for a while in my garage but do not want it to sit on the groung on the floor. I was wondering if anybody had any plans or a link for some kind of cart or dolly that I can store the HardTop and move around in my garage while storing it.

Reply to
lee

twaldron

Most of us hang it from the ceiling.

You can buy a hardtop hoist from any of several providers, or you can go to Lowe's and buy some rope, a few hooks, and some pullies, oh yeah - a couple of 2x2's. Back into the garage and remove the hardware that holds the top down, then lift the rear and slip a 2x2 under, then put the other 2x2 under the front, and pull the ropes until the top is raised to where you can walk under.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

I was going to build a frame out of 2x4s and put wheels on the bottom. Haven't really planned it out yet. basically build a stud wall - like structure on each side and some sort of edge around the top so the hardtop doesn't fall off. I wanted to have one end open so someone could walk into it, at least half way. Like a U shape, sort of. Shouldn't be too difficult. I just have to make the time.

dave h

Reply to
Dave H

I just saw one on the web last week, but can't find it right now. It looked to be made of PVC pipe, padded and on wheels, and held the top with the front facing down. Looked to be the size of a small coke machine though... Could be it's own pain in the ass when empty much of the year unless you use it to dry laundry.

Reply to
Eugene Casinias

Man you must be short or have a really tall garage! ;-)

A 2x4 frame with some old or new computer chair wheels stuck into drilled holes in the corners comes to my mind.

Mike

Jeff Strickland wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

LOL!

You make a good point Bill, funny, I never really thought about that...

Heated, home garages usually have a 7' usually or 'maybe' an 8' flat insulated ceilings in them where I grew up. We had a 7' in a new house. Some 'classy' homes had a 9 or 10..., some had ones I had to duck the ducts in. I can put my hand flat on an 8' ceiling.

Even non insulated ones have the open ceiling joists across them (triangle trusses) when built, just in case or for ease I guess. We store stuff up there.

Up until this point I always thought those ceiling hard top hangers were the 'worst' use of space anyone could come up with unless it was in a corner of a large garage or something.

I store mine lately with a couple chunks of 2x4 lengthwise and lay it on them in the corner of the yard or I have stood it up a few times for a season against the house, front up, top side against the house with a towel across the top, (up on it's tail) but didn't like the open glass on the ground, too easy to break. But it didn't get broke with lots of young boys around for a few years that way, soo...

Mike

"L.W.(ßill) Hughes III" wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

I don't know about the rest of you , but I don't hang my hardtop from the catherdal ceilings, I probably would, _if_ I could get my CJ through the front door. It is not that hard to hang it from the garage ceiling in a place where it is not in a traffic area that can cause repeated removal of hair and scalp from the top of my head.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Hey! I resemble that remark

Floor space in my garage is at an absolute premium. Hanging stuff from the ceiling makes sense in my case. Even with a low ceiling you could put the top lift in the back of the garage, back in lift the top, and then park the jeep in nose first under the top. ymmv

Dean how to build your own top lift

Dean

Hanging it from the ceiling is not an option for me. I have 2 other cars as well as two bikes sharing the same space. I would like to be able to move it around easily. I thought a 2x4 dolly frame would do.

Reply to
lee

Approximately 9/17/03 08:57, lee uttered for posterity:

? How did you manage to get your two cars hung from the ceiling? Bikes I can see, but *cars* ?

Reply to
Lon Stowell

You have 2 cars hanging from the ceiling?? ;-)

Reply to
Joe

I saw something that might interest you at

. It's a stand for your hardtop, sits upright, on wheels.

Andy

2001 TJ
Reply to
Andy

looks like glued together PVC pipe.....I like the hanging version, but if you didn't want holes in your ceiling....then....

Reply to
Onlyinajeepcj7

I wonder if storing the hardtop in that vertical position will cause any damage. The factory specifically says to store it somewhere in a normal, horizontal position.

Tom

Reply to
mabar