Clutch Question

I have a 1989 5.0 LX convertible, with the T5OD manual transmission. I'm beginning to wonder about the clutch. There have been a few instances recently where I have felt a surge, or what may be clutch slippage. Each time, however, has been in the rain.

I had replaced a starter last winter, and seem to remember some type of visual inspection port, or something like that, where the flywheel was exposed. I am a medium level do-it-yourself'er, and don't have a ton of experience yet, so I could be remembering wrong.

I'm wondering if this sounds right to anybody, and if rain water could be getting in somewhere that could cause the symptoms I have seen.

Thoughts?

Also, is there any definitive test for clutch function?

Reply to
Jim Custer

To see if the clutch is slipping, get up to about 45 MPH in fourth. Watch the tach, floor it and just bump the clutch pedal with your foot. If you bumped it hard enough the RPM will jump up. It should fall right back quickly. If it lingers you should feel the clutch slipping.

Changing the clutch in an 89 is not a big job. Get a manual and look at what's needed to do it. It's straight forward.

Al

Reply to
Big Al