color matching

im wondering if there is an existing rattle can color that would be a close enough match to the current jeep khaki to pass off as a "matching" color. i want to paint a trailer to match my jeep. thanks,

Reply to
Nathan W. Collier

Watch it. Someone will yell "Google!" at you. Not me, I'm curious to hear your results.

Reply to
Jeepers

Approximately 9/30/03 14:11, Nathan W. Collier uttered for posterity:

There are always the duplicolor types, but aren't they just a tad on the overpriced side? You can also buy genuine US Military Offishul Khaki spray paint... or just buy Krylon or Rustoleum which is what we used in the army.

Reply to
Lon Stowell

Approximately 9/30/03 14:16, Jeepers uttered for posterity:

To make it trewly kewl, he should spray coarse sand at the wet paint to give it that official military texture as well....

Reply to
Lon Stowell

im not worried about the cost really, so much as i am ensuring a close match. since in not moving until next may/june anyway im going to start hauling welding equipment around with my jeep and a matching trailer color (and even equipment) can make a "first impression" difference. thanks lon,

Reply to
Nathan W. Collier

Well the simple thing here is to find a nice big deep mud hole and drive you J**P through it doing about 60 mph with the trailer connected... the ensuing splash and "shlup" of spraying mud should cover about 70% of the trailer, repeat until it has that look you want, then don't ever wash it again.. :-)

Snow...

Reply to
Snow

I'd check out a local auto painter. You might be able to get a skuff-n-shoot done for $100 or so. But you have to do all the prep work.

Prep work is 90% of the paintjob.

Reply to
DougW

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

skuff-n-shoot

its really gotta be rattle can. work trailers dont stay "pretty" for very long, and i dont want to have to worry about scratching it because id have to take it back to get it touched up as needed. if i can find a rattle can thats a close enough match, problem solved.

Reply to
Nathan W. Collier

Approximately 9/30/03 14:50, DougW uttered for posterity:

I'd probably just let a professional paint it with a good tough paint if it were my business.... say an epoxy job.

The dealers carry small cans of matching paint if money truly is no object. The local parts guy is honest that they are much cheaper down the street at Kragen, etc.

And if money truly is no object, what are your feelings about adopting someone old enough to be your grandfather? >:-)

Reply to
Lon Stowell

while that sure sounds fun, keep in mind that sitting on the trailer will be a $3k - $20k welding machine that doesnt play nice with mud.

Reply to
Nathan W. Collier

only problem with that is that i need the ability to do quick touch ups. the trailer will get grinder marks and weld burns most likely on a daily basis so the ability to touch up is just as important as matching the color.

lol....well, its not that its "no object"....its just you gotta spend it to make it. if im going to go through the trouble of getting this up and running again, im not going to skimp on the details that for some reason really do make a difference. many years ago the biggest welder in this town rode around in a brand new 4x4 ford dually flat bad with a brand new miller "big 40" and completely stocked toolboxes. none of it _ever_ got used, it was strictly for show as he drove it around to bid on jobs. when he passed away i ended up buying the entire stocked truck and i worked the piss out of it. i sold the truck a few years back when i closed shop, but ive still got that same big 40 and those same tools (what hasnt been stolen anyway). they aint as pretty as they were before i got 'em. :-) while i use all my tools, i sort of follow his lead in "looking the part". when youre selling yourself, the details sure matter.

Reply to
Nathan W. Collier

Somwhere in Colorado I saw a nice red CJ (I think) that was painted like it just came out of a mudhole. That's right, mud flames, er..blobs.. er.. yea.. Too bad I didn't have my camera at the time.

Any yes, it was painted, I had to get real close to see. Whoever shot that paint did one hell of a good job.

Reply to
DougW

I have painted a bunch of fenders and various body panels with the factory color match paint in a rattle can from the various dealers with great success.

The cost was more than worth the result.

Mike

"Nathan W. Collier" wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Approximately 9/30/03 15:31, Nathan W. Collier uttered for posterity:

Sure it does, just as long as you don't turn on the juice...

If you are gonna be touching it up all the time, I wonder if you might not be better off with a sorta desert camoflauge look, so touchups that are just off color [or on top of aged paint] will look like they are intentional... And repaint the jeep to match of course.

Aren't we all so helpful with your money and jeep it just makes you sorta wanna bust our heads?

Reply to
Lon Stowell

hi mike, do they sell the large spray cans, or is it just in those little 1.5 oz. cans?

Reply to
Nathan W. Collier

lol....nah, grain of salt! :-)

Reply to
Nathan W. Collier

As far as I have ever seen, just the little cans about 6" tall...

Kinda a drag, but I was getting paid decent money for the fix and the cost of the paint was passed on to the customer with 'their' choice of match quality.

The labor was the same no matter.

Maybe they will sell it by the gallon for a sprayer for the first job?

Mike

Mike Romain

cool. i dont mind doing it that way if i have to, was just hoping to find it in the bigger cans if available. thanks,

Reply to
Nathan W. Collier

it's sister site,
has the reputation for beingTHE site for motorcycle paint/touch up. DV

Reply to
Dan Vitous