Where to send a thermometer for recalibration?

I have a stock thermometer from a '50 2R5 that needs to be recalibrated; it currently indicates Any recommendations as to where/whom I should send it do?

Secondly, there are no numeric indicators on the instrument just a three-position low-normal-hot scale. what is the range of this thermometer? What should the normal operating temperature range be?

Thanks!

-Dutch

Reply to
Dutch

I have a stock thermometer from a '50 2R5 that needs to be recalibrated; it currently indicates the engine's temperature is WAY higher than it actually is (as determined by using an infrared thermometer on the head). Any recommendations as to where/whom I should send it do?

Secondly, there are no numeric indicators on the instrument just a three-position low-normal-hot scale. what is the range of this thermometer? What should the normal operating temperature range be?

Thanks!

-Dutch

Reply to
Dutch

It should read somewhere in the mid range (around 160 degrees) Hot is

200 or so. You can't recalibrate it, replace it or the sender, or if it's a > I have a stock thermometer from a '50 2R5 that needs to be recalibrated;
Reply to
John Poulos

Here is a page that gives some repair info on those instruments:

might also look in some old car publications like Hemmings Motor News for instrument repair. The 2R instrument panel was revised at serial # (2R5)-56960. Earlier ones had numbers, later ones didn't. Ideally, temp. should read somewhere in the normal range at 160º to 180º F.

Reply to
Dwain G.

normal.

Reply to
Jerry Forrester

The unit is a one-piece, gas-filled unit. I was under the impression that these units could not be disassembled without destroying them...? Is this not correct? Sorry, were you suggesting I replace a part of the unit, or the whole unit itself? I have been told (by another a.a.s member & semi-professional Stude gearhead) that any NOS gages I might find to replace this one would likely be inaccurate as well. Indeed, this thermometer/gage unit is itself a NOS part... Another thought just occurred to me; can the gage be converted to contain modern internals, yet still look stock?

Any other suggestions or alternative ideas would be welcomed. Thanks!

-Dutch

YeJohn Poulos wrote:

Reply to
Dutch

That site

details the replacement of the ether filled bulb in this type of radimeter. __________________________________________

Dutch wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news4.newsguy.com:

impression

them...?

Indeed,

Thanks!

Reply to
Dwain G.

Try

Dutch, This link
how to calibrate it. You could try this yourself just go slow whenyou bend the linkage. Also look up "bourdon tube" and you'll see howthey work and possibly get a better idea of how to bend them.Russ

Reply to
rustynutgarage